Showbread – Cancer

4.   You Were Born In A Prison
  5.   Germ Cell Tumor
  6.   Two – Headed Monster
  7.   Escape From Planet Cancer
  8.   You Will Die In A Prison
  9.   You Will Not Die In A Prison

Showbread is a band that thrives on change. They have always refused to stay static for more than one records cycle. Whether it be the revolving door of band members, the  quirky uniforms, or the stylistic change in music, Showbread has always defined themselves by never staying the same. While some would consider this constant change a lack of maturity or commitment, I have always found the change to be something endearing about the band. In a music industry where playing it safe is the road to success, it is always refreshing to see Showbread go against the grain and do whatever the heck they want.

Showbread’s sixth studio album, “Cancer” keeps the same trend of change going as it takes elements from every previous album, but stands on its’ own as an individual effort. An excellent example of seeing this conglomeration in action is the opener, I’m Afraid That I’m Me. In this track things go from piano ballads to punk beats to ska, and everything in between.

Besides the initial shock of seeing only nine tracks on the album (Fear not, time-wise you are not getting cheated), the first thing I noticed was how well each member of the band has come into their own as talented musicians. My only qualm with “Who Can Know It?” was the feeling that no particular instrumental performance stood out from any of the songs. That however, is not a problem on Cancer with each member of the band displaying a stand out performance. This is best displayed in songs like the aforementioned, I’m Afraid That I’m Me and Escape From Planet Cancer. The later of the two, which will have old and new fans alike joining together in agreement that it is one of the bands’ strongest songs ever. Starting off with a riff that sounds like it could have come straight off “No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical” with blazingly fast punk sounding drums, heavily distorted guitars, and heavily synthesized keys. Soon the song transitions to something that sounds like a distant relative of “Age of Reptiles” with powerful chords and thick keys, before changing once again into guitars that sound like they would be comfortable in a Five Iron Frenzy album.

Germ Cell Tumor was another musical opus for me. While it does not do quite as much genre hopping as any of the previously mentioned songs, the more focused effort results in outstanding performances from each member of the band. From the fun up strummed guitars, to the wild bass lines and toe tapping drums, to the warm, slightly distorted synthesizers, Germ Cell Tumor is sure to tickle the listeners ears.

While the music is astounding on “Cancer”, it is only half of what the CD has to offer. With lyrics being the other half, front man Josh Dies has brought his A game on this record. As stated in Two-Headed Monster, “It’s easy to speak when the world loves what you have to say”. Showbread has never let this fact scare them away from speaking their mind and “Cancer” is no different. Josh Dies refuses to shy away from speaking his mind as he tackles issues such as Patriotism, Calvinism, and our general apathy to others.

Anarchy! finds Dies and company proclaiming, “We can smile and stand in line/ but we won’t lift our hands to pledge allegiance to a flag or to a piece of land/ non- violent non- resistance, sworn to honor our true King”. On Escape From Planet Cancer Dies passionately howls, “And over the sea in a warm, sunny place/ men and women sit watching TV/ they say, ‘It’s a shame anyone has to die, but it was either them or me'”. Later in the song gang vocals chant the inspiring lyrics, “Maybe there’s good to be done when darkness abounds/ We dare to hope/ Use love to beat evil down”. You Will Not Die In A Prison has some of Showbread’s most praise centered lyrics to date as Dies croons, “You will not die in the prison where you were born/ each promise that He makes is a promise that He keeps/ Though we go Your Kingdom comes/ Jesus don’t delay/ Erase the darkness once and for all/ Lord hasten the day”.

While my only gripe with the album will potentially be erased when I am able to watch the movie that comes with the physical release and see the story unfold more clearly, I unfortunately did not have that at my disposal for this review and am solely judging the music. With that being said, I found the pacing of the record to be a little strange towards the end. I felt that You Will Die In A Prison and You Will Not Die In A Prison to both be a little too similar in style and pace to be back to back. While I am sure there a was a reason to do so with the story, from a musical standpoint, these two songs back to back have a tendency to be a little dry and boring.

Overall: It is not often that a band can span so many genres and bring them all into one conglomerative effort without sounding like an A.D.D. mess. Showbread is an exception to being lumped in with all those other bands, and come off with their own unique sound that is both mature and interesting. “Cancer” is possibly the most refined effort from Showbread to date. Although they span so many genres, most even in the same song, the changes never come off as too much. “Cancer” is an album that will unify both old and new fans alike as there is a little something for everyone to enjoy.

I would give this record a 4.5 if rating allowed.

RIYL: The Flaming Lips, The Refused, Dies

Showbread - Cancer, 4.6 out of 5 based on 27 ratings

Click here to list all the current reviews by Brody B

About the author Brody B

I am a 22 year old front end web developer by day and a youth leader, aspiring skateboarder, bass player extraordinaire, and Subaru fanboy by night. View all posts by Brody B

92 Responses to 'Showbread – Cancer'

1. AustinG says:

Pos’d!

I agree with most of your points, but a bigger qualm for me is that the screaming is often unintelligible (at least to me). If you haven’t already, go download it through C&L! The artwork/”journal” is awesome.

2. Iaya97 says:

Very good album. Just wish there was more songs.

3. Tim says:

So how does this work with the movie? Is it like Anorexia Nervosa where a story unfolds minute by minute, completely parallel, but this time it’s visual rather than literary? Or is the album just the soundtrack and the movie will actually be longer than the album?

4. Jay says:

I really liked the album too, but some parts bother me lyrically and seem to distract me from the measage that death is beaten in the life, death, and resurrection of jesus. Is anyone else tired of their frequent attacks on Augustine//Calvin? I’d be more inclined to hear their comments if they were at least able to say what they like from Augustine and Calvin, or at least read A and C for themselves instead of reading everything through the perspective of Greg Boyd. He does not have the perfect view on things either. We all are seeing in a mirror dimly right now.

• I’m not quite tired of their attacks on Augustinian / Calvinist theology, because I think they’re attacking a big problem that is splitting the Church apart. I don’t think attacking it is the best answer, rather overlooking our differences is perhaps the better angle, but he’s showing his struggles with specific religious perspectives of God that seems to stifle one’s faith in Biblical consistency. The history behind that theology is also consistent with the concept of the album. I do agree that they seem to be rather obsessed with Greg Boyd, but I also think it’s important for any spiritual leadership group to have some strong spiritual leadership on which they can rely for consistent help discerning truths.

• Yes, as I respectfully disagree with them at this point.

• kurtis wilson says:

Hey Jay, funny thing, I’ve been listening to Showbread since FOREVER!!! One of my favorite bands!!! Anyway, point is, I’ve heard all their music, and Josh Dies solo stuff too. Even read a couple of his books, and I’ve never heard the mention of Greg Boyd from them! Actually, call me slow, but I’ve never heard of Greg Boyd at all! But now, thanks to your rant I looked him up, I’m in the know thanks to you! Greg Boyd for President!!! Thanks Jay!!! hahaha, but seriously, I’d never heard of the guy until you tried to bash Showbread for their like of the guy…think before you type. With Love!

• Loren Wade says:

Kurtis, Jay’s post was very neutral and not bashing the band. He asked some fair questions. I think you’re overreacting. I love Showbread, but I’m currently not sure how I feel about Greg Boyd. And yes, Showbread has mentioned and talked about Boyd plenty of times. I think you should think before you accuse someone of something they haven’t done.

• Kurtis, that’s funny, because I’ve been listening to them for a while now and I follow them on twitter and read their blogs from time to time and I knew that they’ve been working really closely with Greg Boyd for the past year or so. Especially noted are Josh Dies’ posts of Greg Boyd’s blog posts, and video-casts. He’s one of the for-front guys for Open Theism, which seems to be why Josh has been hanging out with him. It’s interesting, but it’s definitely been there. You must not follow Showbread very closely if you haven’t noticed these things – which is ok. I just love to know more about the band’s every-day life so I can add that depth to the music they make when I listen to it. That’s why I LOVE The Chariot. :)

• Kurtis says:

Loren, I was not overreacting at all! Everything I said was true. I am a huge fan, I have read some books, I hadn’t ever heard of Greg Boyd, I looked him up simply do to Jay’s post, Jay was bashing in the sense that he doesn’t agree with their love for Mr. Boyd. Now only thanks to Jay’s post do I now know of this guy… Not over reacting at all. To Marshalls point, the few things I’ve never done as a fan are tweet, I don’t even have an account, I’ve never spoke with Josh D. Or read any blogs of his. So I guess I am clueless and should not have made false assumptions. But to Jay, my point remains, had he not brought up this Greg Boyd I would not have researched him. So it’s thanks to Jay I now know Mr. Boyd.

• BunnySlippersMan says:

I don’t think the mention in Sex With Strangers was a HUGE attack on Augustine/Calvin, he did admit they were very wise, but said they can be wrong, just like all humans, Josh has probably talked (consecutively, all over) as much about how he and Showbread can be wrong as humans just as much as how Calvin/Augustine/anyone can be.

• Lucas says:

Come on Kurtis, “bashing” and “disagreeing” aren’t synonymous. Plus Josh Dies opened up a can of worms addressing the issue on the record in the first place and I’m sure he did so to provoke thoughtful conversation on the matter.

• Loren Wade says:

What Lucas said.

“I’d never heard of the guy until you tried to bash Showbread.” Is overreaction because no one was bashing Showbread.

• Kurtis says:

” or at least read A and C for themselves instead of reading everything through the perspective of Greg Boyd.”… To imply without knowing that Showbread has not studied for themselves their theological beliefs, rather, only believing this way because Greg Boyd beloved this way, is not only bashing, but is down right insulting too!…. Had this been about thoughtful discussion on the matter and not an insult I would have not been so sarcastic in my original post. It would have been more of “I’m uncomfortable with these lyrics because…” followed by personal understanding not personal assumption! Blah blah blah, my original point has now been overlooked, my point was and still is, in a debate or discussion on a topic in which their is an individual in the background (G.B.), whom you disagree with, why would you be the first to bring said individual and risk announcing that person to the world for all to hear. All Jays post did was cause me to research G.B. had he only posted on his dislike for the lyrics and theologically explained his concern, there would be one less G.B. advocate today.

• Lucas says:

Okay Kurtis. Well back to the album itself…

I am personally very reformed in my theology and ironically enough “Sex With Strangers” is my favorite off the album from a musical standpoint. I don’t agree with everything Josh says, but he’s a brilliant lyricist and I do appreciate him bringing up tough issues. On the other hand, I do feel like he spends a lot of time analyzing only the surface of certain topics like patriotism and war. There are reasons people say the pledge of allegiance and deem war necessary at times, and I think they are Godly/Biblical reasons. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if he understands that.

That said I really appreciate the honesty and humility he pours into his music. It’s touching regardless of whether I agree with him or not. This record is definitely their best in my eyes and one I’ll be listening to for a while. 4.5/5 if that were an option. :)

• Kurtis says:

Lucas your right! I agree with your comment. Well said.

• NDurden says:

Jay, I appreciate your honest qualms with some of the lyrics, and you’re obviously entitled to them… but is it possible that, in your frustration, your imposing some of your own (biased) perceptions on Showbread? Not sweating you, just an honest consideration, in respect!
      The church, throughout its history, has been filled with theological disagreement, often peacefully. After all, C.S. Lewis and Billy Graham took plenty issue with Augustine and Calvin and are still respected as pivotal figures in Christianity.

And, to be completely fair, we don’t know for sure whether or not Showbread is “reading everything through the perspective of Greg Boyd.” Aren’t they entitled to be influenced by a theologian without being accused of agreeing with EVERYTHING he says? Bonhoeffer openly claimed to be across-the-board influenced by Karl Barth without being accused of simply reiterating everything Barth said.
      Isn’t it possible Showbread has read Augustine and Calvin and simply disagree with them? Isn’t it possible this genuine disagreement is what threads them together with Boyd and not the other way around? Shouldn’t we at least give them SOME benefit of the doubt?

Either way, their lyrics are generating some serious conversation (even here!) and maybe that’s the real point?
      In humility and love! -NDurden

• kurtis wilson says:

NDurden, your right! I agree with your comment. Well said.

• Smacky X says:

Very well put NDurden!

5. John says:

Don’t know anything about the movie except it’s apparently coming out next year.

6. Better than last year’s album…still like the Fear of God the best.

7. Kevin Fitz says:

This album is amazing.

His writing is some of the best, along with Reese Roper’s.
    I really wish The Thieves Guild would take form…ugh

• spaceforent says:

I talked to Reese about it a month ago. He said he was planning on working on the Thieves Guild (tweaking/vocals) this spring. Shhh! ;)

8. jthejust says:

This album is incredible! One of their best for sure.

My one complaint is the same as the review. The two last songs are too similar and can get a bit boring, especially considering that the before last is 10 minutes long.

9. scott says:

Does anyone know who produced?

10. fusse says:

I’m yet to fully listen to this but man is the cover art freaky or what. Nightmare material right there.

11. Andrew S says:

I love Showbread. I have for many years. However, if they do subscribe to Boyd’s views on theology, I will be greatly troubled.

I just read Boyd’s core beliefs. If you read this and find no errors, you need to read the Bible.

• Jared says:

Something in those beliefs… just seems a bit “off”.

• Jared Ens says:

The only thing that shook me was the view of hell as well as the role of women in the church setting, those were the main things that stood out as false/ twisted from the biblical view…

• Kurtis says:

i disn’t read anything heretical, or even scarry. It’s not as if any of these views are reached as a way to sin more or paint a picture of God with evil intent in mind. They are views painted in light of scripture and aren’t stated as fact, rather a reminder to grow, and search within our faith. Whether you Agree or disagree with ReKnew, they don’t seem to be leading people astray. Just my humble opinion.

• Daniel H. says:

I’m having a hard time finding his reasoning behind egalitarian marriages and women having positions of authority anywhere in scriptural context. That’s one area I would particularly like to see his Biblical justification.

• Loren Wade says:

Man, we go over and over with this in other posts.

Just because Christians talk about and uplift other Christians, doesn’t mean they have to agree with every facet of their beliefs.

We can honor people without doing what they do. This is honoring the body of Christ. Don’t be afraid to honor everyone. Just because Showbread agrees with topics that Boyd agrees with doesn’t mean they believe everything he says is true.

Did Paul not quote the Cretans? They weren’t known to be believers.

That said, maybe Showbread does subscribe to a lot of Boyd’s theology. So what? Unless they come out and say everything they believe, that doesn’t mean we should assume Showbread believes everything Boyd does.

12. Ryan says:

…and yet people have no problem bowing down to mark driscoll’s questionable views and practices.

13. Brandon J. says:

Can we just talk about the music this time and leave the theology out of the discussion?

• Smacky X says:

Isn’t theology a part of the music?

• Brody B says:

Yeah, what Brandon said!

• NDurden says:

I’m not sure they’ve left that option available to us, being that the theology is such an important part of the lyrics and concept.

• hahaha. I don’t think I’d be so interested in this page if it wasn’t for the theological discussions being discussed here. I think a big part of music is the theology behind it and if theology creates the framework for your message, it’s important to talk about. Plus, it gets people to talk about deeper things than what they might normally talk about. Iron Sharpening Iron.

• Andrew S says:

I think that we would not discuss theology if it was not in their music.

• Loren Wade says:

It’s unavoidable. Especially with a person like me, who looks at lyrics first.

• Chris says:

It is inevitable that when someone goes negative – either in terms of politics or in terms of theology (and this album goes negative in both) – that the people who are offended will be accused of being the ones going negative.

Though, if this album is really good musically, I can sympathize with Brandon here. If an artist representing Christ doesn’t deny any of the core tenets of the faith, the theological arguments sometimes inhibits people from listening to the music with an open mind.

Calvinism isn’t dividing the church. Hypercalvinism could be an issue in pockets, but really the Gospel has been re-centralized by the Holy Spirit, often THROUGH those who are Calvinist and/or Reformed.

The people who are dividing the church are the emergent church and those who are trying to synthesize faulty doctrine.

I listened to their last album twice all the way through and wasn’t impressed. But, it’s free, so I think I’ll download it.

For the record, I don’t think a Christian can defend either Obama or Romney’s foreign policy. They are both very un-Constitutional and very un-Biblical. Just saying.

• Brandon J. says:

Haha how can you expect Romney’s policies to be “biblical” when he is a Mormon? As for Obama, I don’t think he is a believer of anything and his policies will reflect his self ambitions.

• Smacky X says:

“the Gospel has been re-centralized by the Holy Spirit, often THROUGH those who are Calvinist and/or Reformed”

The Gospel has also been re-centralized often through those who are not Calvinist/Reformed, and has often been undermined by those who ARE Calvinist and/or Reformed.

I think some of the reaction to Calvinism comes as a result of loud and poignant Calvinist voices associating the heart of the Gospel with the Calvinist interpretation of it. For over 30 years, I have heard this abuse of the gospel on any consistent level from Calvinists than followers of any other systematized theology.

Do NOT hear me saying that these abusers represent the whole (I hate it when people use that argument for different things.) But I must admit that despite trying to avoid cynicism and frustration towards calvinism, I have wrestled through a 3-decade barrage of “Are you a calvinist? You should be? Paul was…I believe it because it’s what the Bible teaches…” from people who don’t respect that Christians who don’t subscribe to calvinism also draw the propositions that represent their positions from Scripture.

I hear some of that type of mud-slinging in the complementarian/ egalitarian debate, but that doesn’t come close to the prominence of that mindset and message of calvinists towards the rest of Christianity (the message and mindset that disrespects any viewpoint in disagreement with their own)

Again, I am not saying that the presence of this attitude of some (in my experience “many”) calvinists means we throw out the baby with the bathwater, or that we paint the Reformed with a broad brush. But in being honest, I can empathize on some level with the Showbread’s feelings and perspectives on the issue…

• scott says:

Smacky really, really, really likes talking theology.

• BunnySlippersMan says:

Chris, I don’t know what you’ve been exposed to regarding Calvinism, but where I’m from, it has HUGELY been dividing the church

• NDurden says:

Chris: in love, is it possible your accusations are unfair?

Based on what you’ve said here, one could assume that you seem to consider yourself the arbiter of what is “negative” theology despite hundreds of years of welcomed debate and variety in the church. I’m assuming you don’t actually think this, but you could be misconstrued when you speak this strongly. You could be taken as someone drawing a line in the sand between the “right” Christians (Calvinists) and the “wrong” Christians (everyone else) which, I think, we can all agree would garner some disastrous results. It also could be argued that you seem to be saying that Calvinists are to credit for every success in the church, which I’m sure we’d agree, would be a problematic claim. Again, not wanting to put words in your mouth, just trying to humbly point out some possible—and hopefully unintentional—inferences lurking in your words.

I’m not even going as far as to say I agree with Showbread on all (or any) of their distinctives, per se… But aren’t they entitled to speak to them according to their convictions? After all, to affirm Calvinism, one must also denounce opposing theological systems. Just because Showbread denounces one view, are we to impose such hostility on them? Calvin himself denounced a great many orthodox distinctives as false, as was his prerogative… That’s how theology works! We must learn to disagree without taking personal issue or being so terribly threatened. We’re welcome to disagree and affirm Jesus together! Showbread is made up of self-proclaimed evangelicals, it isn’t like we’re dealing with zany liberals or Jesus-mythicists.

Just food for thought!

• Tim says:

NDurden speaks some good wisdom there.

I’m very reformed in my theology and ironically enough “Sex With Strangers” is my favorite off the album from a musical standpoint. I don’t agree with everything Josh says, but he’s a brilliant lyricist and I do appreciate him bringing up tough issues. On the other hand, I do feel like he spends a lot of time analyzing only the surface of certain topics like patriotism and war. There are reasons people say the pledge of allegiance and deem war necessary at times, and I think they are Godly reasons. It’s hard to tell if he understands that.

I really appreciate the honesty and humility Josh pours into his music. It’s touching regardless of whether I agree with him or not. This record is definitely their best in my eyes and one I’ll be listening to for a while. 4.5/5 if that were an option. :)

I will say that my main issue with the lyrics is that I do feel like he spends a lot of time analyzing only the surface of certain topics like patriotism and war. There are Biblical reasons people pledge allegiance to our country and deem war necessary at times. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if he understands that..

Oh my!!! My posts have escaped the IVM comment prison and are now flooding the boards! Can this be fixed? :)

18. Marshall says:

At their last album “Who can Know it?” I was really disappointed in their lack of… screaming almost. I was used to the ole “Age of Reptiles” and “Anorexia/Nervosa” Showbread so when that one came out I was like “Really? What Happened?” and I basically passed up the album. I didnt really have any hype for this album coming out, honestly i thought it would be like the last album, just a lot of ballads no screaming, no punk, nothing. I actually figured out about the fact that they released this album on twitter, and thank God for that because I LOVE this album! It’s a perfect mixture of old Showbread and New Showbread to create a Child of awesomeness! I know the lack of songs may be a turn off to some but as I listened to the first song I noticed that six minutes had already gone by! I tell you that there is not lack of music than on a regular album. Honestly I think that if i were to rate it i’d give it a 4.5 because I love it! Like usually I pick rap before Rock, but I havent even listened to the Propaganda album yet, ive spent all my time listening to this! So definetly cop this if you can! you can get it for free at comeandlive.com

19. JoshIVM says:

This is why I feel that looking to musicians for your theology is where you get into trouble in the first place. Among several other reasons, they aren’t able to give you a complete treatise in a song as one could do in a much lengthier book.

So from a purely entertainment perspective (which is how I view 95% of the music I listen to) the album is enjoyable but probably would still only get a 3 from me.

20. Taylor C. says:

I think that I’ve played “I’m Afraid That I Am Me” about 57 times, and the rest of the album about five.

21. Ty says:

I haven’t listen to these guys since they they were wearing costumes and ripping off blood brothers. All this discussion make me want to check them out again. Also, greg boyd is kinda just whatever. J Sanders is where its really at. Also Lucas, some people are part of a rich heritage of the church, that don’t think war is ever necessary or biblical.

22. Ty says:

Oh, i also forgot, we gotta get a better resolution album cover.

23. Eric Martin says:

I will say to anyone who has issues with or questions for Showbread, their lyrics, beliefs, and inspirations; I have found that they are 100% open to discussing them with you via formspring or email. I keep up with their formspring as there are a lot of great questions asked, and a lot of great responses given. If you want to know more about where they are coming from, or would like them to go more in depth on a certain topic or belief they hold, go ask them. They seem to be more than willing to answer questions.

• Eric Martin says:

Also, I bet you’ll get a far more in depth answer than ” because Greg Boyd thinks so” seeing as they most likely did a lot more research than some of you are attributing to them

• Tim says:

Just want to echo this. I’ve found great depth and insight regarding their theological positions from their formspring. They are very transparent and take time to show how and why they hold different beliefs. An excellent example, even people don’t agree with everything that they do.

24. Brandon J. says:

I just listened to this album on the way to work and I must say that it’s impressive. I am loving the music!

25. jthejust says:

For all the controversy around “Sex With Strangers”, I actually find “Anarchy!” the hardest to agree with lyrically. To me, complete pacifism is illogical and unbiblical. But that’s just my opinion. I still love the song.

26. Joel22 says:

I first listened to Showbread when they released Who Can Know It? and wasn’t impressed. However, I find myself very impressed with this.

27. Rich Veltrop says:

Production notes and personal comments from engineer and co-producer Rich Veltrop:

Showbread is a self-produced band. They come in knowing exactly what they what to do. As a producer/engineer you can only help them achieve their goals. You throw in your two cents when you hear some thing, but for the most part they come in with a fully fleshed out vision. They are certainly no ones brain child but their own. Josh Dies is one of the most creative and dedicated musicians I have ever worked with. Every time we work together it is a incredible learning experience for all involved. I have helped them with five of their albums. “Cancer” for me is by far my favorite album so far. The emotional reaction I have to these songs is so overwhelming that I can not listen to it without listening to the whole thing in its entirety and am left in tears several times in the process. The last two songs are especially moving for me. I am filled with joy to see the positive influence that they have on their fans, and the though provoking discussions spurred by their lyrics.

Rich Veltrop – sinner and humble servant

28. David M says:

Before all of this hooplah, I had no idea who Greg Boyd was. Now that I do, I can see why he is controversial, but I also agree with a lot of his points. Go figure. People get offended over the darndest things, lol.

Exclusive: Jeremiah Daly Music Video Premiere