I, The Breather – These Are My Sins

6. Doomsday
  7. Conquer
  8. Empathy
  9. Crown Me King
  10. Allspark
  11. Illuminate

I, The Breather is a five-piece band that formed in the summer of 2009. Not too long ago they signed to Sumerian Records and are releasing their debut These Are My Sins. I first came across ITB this past summer on the Scream the Prayer Tour date at Heaven Fest. They had a solid live show and I was pretty impressed with their live set, even with the fact that they suffered from some minor technical difficulties. I was curious how that would transfer over to their studio recordings. I’m glad to say that energy and passion flowed nicely into their studio release.

If there is one thing to say about this album it would be the album is emotion packed in both the lyrics and the music. I recommend reading along with the lyrics as you listen to this album. I think it added a whole other dimension to the experience.

Their lyrics are almost brutally honest and bring up some pretty heavy topics because of it. Most of the themes cover standing up for what you believe in and fighting the battles that you get into through life. Ultimately though it revolves around being lost and then being found in Christ. I found the lyrics to be great encouragement for any Christian’s faith and at the same time its great for those looking for answers and be able to find what they are looking for. Which gives the message of the album a really broad appeal and one that is worth being heard by everyone.

Here’s an example with the lyrics from “High Rise.”

“All my life I’ve searched for the right, But followed the wrong/My Faithful, Please forgive me/This is Real, Please forgive me/All my life I’ve loved, Searched for the right, But followed the wrong/My life is a perfect example, Of dreams that failed/Oh, I’m perfectly, Un perfect!/But is this what I live for?/”To be judged and marked for dead”/I cant even stop and think about how many times I’ve failed/I got a feeling every time I get up I’m just pulled back down/I need to find a solution/How many times will I fail before fate eludes me?/But is this what I love for?/”To be judged”/These are my sin’s…”

Lead vocalist Shawn Spann delivers vocals that are raw, and in your face. There are no clean vocals or any sung parts on the album, so if that’s what you expected from this metalcore band you won’t find them. Yet the vocals still have a nice sense of melody at times even though they are harsh and abrasive. While the vocals are just fine for what ITB is playing here, they tend to blend together in each song and give a sense of familiarity.

ITB sound could basically be described as a typical metalcore band and there isn’t exactly anything new offered in this album sound wise. Now I am not saying this as a negative aspect though. The guitarists Jered Youngbar and Justin Huffman, are talented and throw out some pleasant riffs. Though they sound nice they deliver a lot of what is already common of numerous guitarists in the genre. The drummer Morgan Wright, is technical enough and is rather satisfactory by adding in some really solid drum fills. Bassist Armand Vincent completes the sound by giving ITB a fuller sound and adds to the heavy atmosphere. IBR has a powerful delivery and is very intricate throughout this album; just don’t expect to see anything brand new in terms of sound.

Even though its not redefining the genre of metalcore, I was not disappointed. They really remind me a lot of a young August Burns Red, almost too much at times, but since ABR is one of the leaders of the pack in the genre; they’re really not that bad of a band to be compared to. Basically the amount of technicality these guys possess in their music, the plentiful amount of breakdowns and the fact that there is no clean vocals yet still that sense of melody, like ABR, it makes it hard to not compare ITB to them.  Thus, if you like ABR it’s a pretty safe bet you will enjoy this band.

The only thing that I mainly found disappointing with this album is that it runs together here and there.  A lot of the songs run together from having similar sounds as previous songs and the vocals used similarly through the tracks.  This does make the album seem a little drawn out towards the end. But for the most part this doesn’t hinder you from getting into the band’s music and diving into their great message. IBR holds their own with their very loud and heavy album, with the exception of the piano segment at the end of “Conquer,” that then leads into the instrumental titled “Empathy,” with both giving a bit of a break from the sea of heavieness.

Overall: for ITB’s first release they have given us an above average debut. Sure their sound isn’t the freshest and having a noticeable comparison to ABR, but ITB delivery nonetheless is powerful and effective. You can tell the guys worked hard on this album and put a lot into it. I really like how it was honest and filled with emotion, while packing a punch.  “Forgiven”, “Destroyer,” and “High Rise” were some of the track highlights from the album for me. But really if you like one track you will like the rest, just as long as some familiarity won’t bother you. In all, ITB releases a solid debut and definitely has the potential to impress the masses and possibly take a similar road as ABR before them.

I, The Breather - These Are My Sins, 4.4 out of 5 based on 36 ratings

Click here to list all the current reviews by Joshua Clark

About the author Joshua Clark

A college student who really loves music, art, and God. I like a variety of music, heavy rock or metal mainly but pop/rock or worship music also gets it's fair share of listening time. View all posts by Joshua Clark

26 Responses to 'I, The Breather – These Are My Sins'

1. Finally a christian band that BRINGS THE DJENT! Definitely excited for this.

2. Jake C says:

What about the epic breakdowns??? That’s like the biggest thing I notice about them. That and varying time signatures. High Rise is one of the most chaotic songs in existance (time signature wise). The tempos change rediculously fast in Allspark. Yes they do sound a bit like ABR, but there are noticable differences. I also think that Shawn’s vocals fit this style much better than Jake’s(ABR). Both are incredible vocalists, just think ABR might wanna go to a heavier sound to compliment Jake’s vocals more. These guys are one of if not the best live show I’ve ever seen. Check ‘em out! I give it a 9.5/10.

• Joshua Clark says:

Yeah there were some pretty sweet breakdowns, I had just briefly mentioned them. And the ABR comparison was nothing against ITB at all, i love ABR so glad to see another band that has a lot of the same strengths as them. And I agree they are definitely worth seeing live!

3. oceanafan says:

BRAVO! im getting the album for christmas, just because im not a christian,
    i can still enjoy their music

4. XWriting on the WallsX says:

Thats fine Oceanfan, however, if you listen to this band I think it’s safe to say your probably not an athiest.

• Jake C says:

I listen to Oceano, Within The Ruins, and Suicide Silence. Does this mean I’m not Christian??? No. I openly tell people about my faith and I’m very bold in it. Just because you listen to music with a certain message doesn’t mean you believe every word. I like Oceano’s lyrics because of the conspiritorial aspect. I like Within The Ruins’ lyrics because they’re often about morals and mistakes (on “Invade”… I don’t have “Creature” so I’m not sure). Suicide Silence has songs like “The Price Of Beauty” (A song about plastic surgery… read the lyrics carefully) and “Wake Up” (about the downside of drug use) That I enjoy the message of. All three of these bands have aspects of their lyrics that I like. They are all three blatently against the idea of God, but that’s not why I listen to them. I think the same thing applies here.

5. Ty says:

Hadn’t heard these guys before, but yeah, definitely hear some ABR in there. Good stuff.

6. kpsaville says:

you’re not a christian but your going to get it for CHRISTmas?

7. Blake says:

@writingonthewalls what you said to oceanafan is the equivalent to saying “If you listen to bring me the horizon you’re probably not a christian”. Music can be appreciated on a much deeper level than just religion. Oceanafan just likes it for its aesthetic value. Whereas I enjoy many secular bands for the exact same reason I’m a follower of Christ and honestly these goody two-shoes “witty” christian remarks are exactly why most people don’t really care for Christians. All you are doing is pigeon-holing an individual for a simple comment. You don’t know the guy/girl or his/her situation. Check yourselves, and compare yourselves to the one you say you follow; because quite frankly when it comes to a non-believer posting on here the believers who comment after them often sound like the self-righteous Gentiles. Remember guys what we believe isn’t about confrontation and “calling out” others. Its about loving our Lord with all we have, learning to live like Christ and demonstrating that love to others. When people see that love they start to wonder where it comes from and that is how you reach out to people. So. Long story short. Stop with the persnickety comments.

• XWriting on the WallsX says:

Dude i totally understand what your saying, but i was not intending to label anyone. I like BMTH too and you don’t even know if I’m a Christian or not, do you? It’s like this: I said hes probably not an atheist not because this band is Christian (plenty of non believers listen to christian bands) but because the lyrics are proclaimed christian lyrics; very up in your face. It wasSo, it is safe to say he is not an atheist. I don’t even care if the guy is an atheist or not, nor am i against them. I wasn’t “calling out” i was making a remark. Remember, its hard to know the exact context of what a person says when it is said online. Reading isn’t the same as hearing. To avoid misinterpretation i suppose i should type out my reasoning for everything i say to the full extent.. Shouldn’t have to but…

8. XWriting on the WallsX says:

It’s like this.. Would you want to hear a Muslim band singing in English about death to America? No you would not. Likewise no atheist would want to hear: “How many times will I fail before fate eludes me?/But is this what I love for?/”To be judged”/These are my sin’s…”. Sure, they may not mind at 1st, but they would not want to listen to a band with consistent christian lyrics. Extreme comparison but you get the idea.

• Jake C says:

that line is But is this what I LIVE for??? The songs about addiction (i think). Better example please. And the Muslim comment was not necesary. Not all terrorists are Muslim and not all Muslims are terrorists… just sayin

9. Jared says:

ITB was sick at scream the prayer III, love the new album.

10. Blake says:

Im not going to dignify anything, and Im just going to leave this conversation alone. Anyways….Just knowing these guys and giving them flack from day one I can say they put out a solid heavy cd. Not the most creative thing I have ever heard, but compared to a lot of bands out there they go big.

11. Evan1 says:

Dude everyone needs to just quit!!!! This happens WAY too often on this site. Just let everyone be. AMEN?!

Now, back to the music, this is an amazing release that reminds me of a mix of Periphery and Meshuggah with a hint of August Burns Red. Very well done for their 1st release.

Love how they redid Crown me King!

12. XWriting on the WallsX says:

Alright, you guys i agree to stop talking about this. However, In my defense, i must point out a few things on my Muslim comment. I obviously know not all Muslims are haters- clearly i was directing my comments at those of that religion who would believe in the anti-America world view. Come on people, use your brians. One would have to be petty to get upset about that.

• Jake C says:

I wasn’t getting petty just trying to make you think. And I didn’t mean this in a mean way… the downfall of typing… you can’t express the emotion with what you say things

13. Brandon says:

um, this is weird (the discussion), i’m outta here. lol.

14. HAYNGMAN3000 says:

@ XwritingonthewallX referring to what you said “Come on people, use your brians”.

i’m not sure that i have any brians. Brians are weird, and yes, john’s are awesome,
    but most importantly computer salad doesn’t exist. ….termites.

15. Andrew S. says:

Hahahahahahaha at everything above.

I just picked this CD up today at Lifeway (which surprised me. They’re actually stocking heavy CDs that aren’t Underoath or Demon Hunter). I’ve enjoyed listening to this CD so far. I really like the lyrics as well.

16. taras91 says:

hey can anyone post lyrics to this cd???????????????

17. dacheat says:

This CD is so good. Got it today and listened to it nearly nonstop on the 3 hour drive home. 9/10 IMO…

Exclusive: Jeremiah Daly Music Video Premiere