Evangel – Hey Mr. Gravity (A Response To Lecrae)

By Jeremiah Holdsworth on September-2-2013 | Filed under Lyric Video | Tags : , , , , | Share

Hip-hop artist Evangel just released a song in response to the direction Lecrae has been going with his music over the last year or so.  You can watch the video below and download the track for free here.  There’s a short article someone wrote about the track here.

About the author Jeremiah Holdsworth

I was born in Florida and currently reside in the Houston Texas area. I have a wonderful wife and two sons. I like all genres of music so I can't be boxed in. I listen to it all and review it all. View all posts by Jeremiah Holdsworth

17 Responses to 'Evangel – Hey Mr. Gravity (A Response To Lecrae)'

1. All I’m going to say is that I understand where Evangel is coming from and I also understand where Lecrae is coming from.

2. Iaya says:

Ugh, I wish this track and the others like it would go away. Lecrae is still spitting the Gospel, and every song on Gravity carries a Christian message. Lecrae already to responded to this junk when he released “Mr. Rebel vs. Mr. Gravity” a few weeks ago. Lecrae realized that he was preaching to Christians, and decided to go out into the world a la the Great Commission. These people are immature in their faith, and need to grow.

To quote Andy Mineo in his song on this topic, “Wild Things,” “I talk about Jesus, all the Christians love me. I walk like Jesus, now they want to judge me.”

3. Lee Brown says:

I was just listening to Gravity the other day. I really can’t see how Lecrae has watered it down? Confessions of a Millionaire hits the same basic notes as Got Paper… Tell the World is an outright statement of faith. And… I mean have they heard his guest work lately on Tedashii, and his role in the 116 clique… I’m a patient man, but come on now.

• I think like Iaya pointed out, its a maturity thing. I’ve been following Evangel for years and he’s always been blunt and never afraid to speak his mind. As Lecrae already versed in Rebab vs Gravity, he’s matured and I believe God is using him to bring new listeners to christian rap and to hear the gospel. Also then maybe through more blunt stuff like Evangel’s. Now if some new to christian rap heard Evangel’s diss on where Lecrae went with his lyrics then they might be turned off from listening to more christian rap. So I feel that all the song does is show in fighting within the christian rap community which is not beneficial to spreading the gospel. I really respect Evangel as an artist and as a gospel rapper but in this case I think he’s let pride (sin) get in the way of how he thinks Lecrae should be compared to how God is allowing Lecrae to be.

• Grok Radio says:

Not every songs has to have Jesus every other word to have a string message, the Pharicees are alive and well. Thanks to this guy for confirming it. I guess he is the lyrical judge of Christian Hip Hop now.

• Iaya says:

Even songs like “Buttons,” which initially seems like a love song, displays a Christian perspective on relationships and love. The Gospel is the best thing in the world, but there are other aspects of the Christian faith that need to be addressed in music.

4. Britt says:

I don’t appreciate these kind of songs because while it may be truthful it is not the right way to go about it. If he really cared about Lecrae and what he was rapping and whether or not it glorified the Lord he should have gone to him in private like it says in Matthew 17.
    Now I don’t know if he did talk to him privately or not but all this does is cause division within the body of who agrees with who? Or even if he is right he just put Lecrae on blast when he should treat him as a brother and win his respect in private.

Overall, every christian has a problem with another. We can point out flaws and get bitter at each other or both try and glorify God and come to each other humbly. To put it in the words of Mouthpiece “Sinners love to sin, that ain’t a mystery. But your love for God check your credit history.”

Oh and Lecrae, keep doing what your doing.

5. Graham says:

I doubt that Lecrae was showing disrespect to the Church on his mixtape “Church Clothes”. I’m pretty certain that he was talking from the perspective of people who were not Christians. And I just want to say that I thought his collaboration with Big K.R.I.T. was phenomenal. Those are personal opinions though.

6. Grok Radio says:

Didn’t sucky KJ-52 try this with eminem?
    If they had talent and creativity of their own they wouldn’t need to call out people to get a bit of publicity.
    Maybe he should remember Jealousy and coveting are sins.

7. David M says:

I wonder if Evangel bothered to talk to Lecrae first. This isn’t me trying to condemn or judge him, but it just seems weird that this was done merely days after Lecrae released the song… Seems fairly reactionary, but hey: what do I know?