Nine Lashes – World We View

6. Believe Your Eyes
7. Our Darkest Day
8. Memo
9. Write It Down
10. The Void
11. My Friend

Hailing from Birmingham, Alabama the five-piece band just released their debut album, World We View, on Tooth & Nail with producers Aaron Sprinkle and Trevor McNevan. The input of Trevor McNevan is undeniable, upon first listen I thought, “This sounds like Phenomenon-era Thousand Foot Krutch,” but that’s not to say they are a carbon copy of the veteran rock group. Nine Lashes holds their own in the man-rock arena going back and forth on the album between heavy guitars and double bass to ballads crying out “…so my God fill this space that’s left in me.”

The album keeps from getting too static by the addition of electronic tracks, strings and includes an appearance by Demon Hunter screamer, Ryan Clark, on the song “Our Darkest Day.” World We View closes with an almost completely acoustic track that highlights lead singer, Jeremy Dunn’s, vocals and is a clean way to close out a highly charged album.

Lyrically, Nine Lashes gets it right. They say on their Facebook page that “they have determined in their hearts to bring a message of Hope to the Hopeless purpose to the lost” and their lyrics do not shy away from that mission. Musically, however, it feels like I have heard it before. It is a strong debut album and definitely worth a listen but if I heard one of their songs on the radio I am not sure I would be able to distinguish them from most other hard rock acts.

Side note: 3 days after “World We View” released, Nine Lashes hit the road with RED and Thousand Foot Krutch on the REDvolution Tour. Word on the street: their live show is explosive.

Nine Lashes - World We View, 3.6 out of 5 based on 19 ratings

Click here to list all the current reviews by sara.walz

About the author sara.walz

sara is a mid-twentysomethings dreamer from minneapolis, mn. she has a giant crush on jon foreman and just wants to live on a tour bus. she tweets approximately once a day: @storiesofagirl View all posts by sara.walz

44 Responses to 'Nine Lashes – World We View'

1. Sounds like Red. They’ll probably end up touring with Skillet and The Letter Black at some point. Very similar style.

2. Smacky X says:

They are like Red in terms of that general “hard rock” genre, but I feel like Red displays better diversity between songs and within songs. I tried to give Nine Lashes a chance with a few listens through the album but just can’t get into them. I think that Sara’s review and score is spot on. (In contrast I feel like Red’s first album was a more solid effort than this one, and I think that Red’s new album is great)

3. Dave says:

I have to disagree a little with you guys. I actually found this album to be great and prefer these guys over Red. I like Red, but I’d pick these guys over them based on their vocals and catchy hooks.

• Jake C says:

Totally agree. These guys sound more like Breaking Benjamin over Red or TFK to me. And what I’ve heard is amazing.

• Yeah, the Breaking Benjamin similarities are definitely there. It’s got 4 or 5 really catchy songs, but the rest just kinda pass right by. The TFK song was one of my least favorites, but all in all it’s a good album. (7.5 outta 10)

4. silentthunder89 says:

I see it as nothing ground-breaking, but on par with several of the greats. I’d probably give it a 7 myself.

5. Van Tassell says:

I totally disagree.I have listened in depth to every song and I think the album is epic!! They sound nothing like Red to me.The songs are more melodic and lots of hooks! And yes the lyrics give me such hope and inspiration. I am so sick of hearing “Save me from myself” from almost every rock band out there! I give it a 8/10 stars.

6. AliveforHim says:

“Nine Lashes is a breath of fresh air from the US with their heavy guitarbased hard rock and catchy elements. Disciple and RED inspirations can be heard, but yet these guys have their down sound. The album is produced by Aaron Sprinkle.” -The Nordic Mission.net Great Britain.

7. Van Tassel says:

I totally disagree with Samcky and Justin. They sound nothing like Red to me. I think the album is epic. It has catchy awesome melodies. And yes it does give me hope! I am so sick of hearing”Save me from myself” so many rock bands out there. I give it a 8/10.

• I agree. It does have an epic tone. But too me, it may come off a bite too over-polished too me. And I’m saying this from what I’ve heard of the album so far. I’m curious to hear more. Considering it’s a Sprinkle-produced album, I really do want to hear the whole thing.

But unfortunately, so far it reminds me of Skillet’s last album, stuff from the Letter Black, and Red’s progressing catalog. All three of those bands haven’t hit high scores with me recently. The over-polished “epic” sound is becoming the main standard of “mainstream hard rock.” It’s characterized by very cautious guitar playing, and songs overwhelmed by symphonics and orchestral parts. It’s become way too commonplace.

• But granted, as you say, it does have very inspired lyrics. Very positive and encouraging. That’s some extra points right there. Not every band these days is as straightforward about what their goal as a band is about.

8. username says:

I have to say that these guy have a great live show.

9. WarriorSam says:

I completely agree with this review!

10. JahWarriah says:

Hey um, just to let you all know, this album is NOT Nine Lashes’ debut album. Yes, it’s their debut for a record label, namely Tooth & Nail, but 2009’s Escape was actually their debut album. Personally, I think this is something that the Christian rock industry has been lacking for a little while. Sure, there have been great releases, but a lot of songs have had the same basic message. I thoroughly enjoyed this album from Nine Lashes and I would probably give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

11. This album is pretty boring… It sounds a LOT like Red but it doesn’t have as depressing of a tone as Red. I completely agree with the 5/10 review score…

12. Smacky X says:

Why are my comments not posting?

• Smacky X says:

@Van Tassell
      I didn’t say that they sound like Red- I said that they are both a part of the hard rock genre. While people are welcome to their own opinion, it’s absurd to say they sound NOTHING like each other, especially when your referencing a very broad comparison that was made between the two bands. There are hooks, this is riffage, there are big choruses (or attempts at them), there are soaring but gritty vocals, there is some screaming. Save lines like “the sound nothing like…” for comparisons between piano-driven female-fronted folk bands and black metal bands, not for bands who are clearly playing in the same genre and playing for the same market.

• Brandon says:

Let me check spam folder.

• JoshIVM says:

Not sure why they weren’t appearing but they were put in the spam folder. Sorry about that.

13. Smacky X says:

thanks guys

14. Van Tassell says:

Smackey X Well It is not absurd to me to say “they sound nothing like Red”. Point understood about what you mean about the genre though. I just don’t hear Red but yes they are in the same genre.
    And to me they sound way differn’t than Red. You got hung up on my wording:). Hope that is better!
    The 5 stars is way too low in my book but to each his own! Smacky You sound like you know alot more about
    music than I do though. I just only hear it and know if I like it or not.I love the lyrics but I have to love the music too and the music on the “World We View” album is what hooked me NOT the lyrics only! All I know is it is an awesome album that is inspiring me and bringing me hope.
    God Bless!

• Smacky X says:

Hey Van Tressel

I don’t think that they are a “Red rip-off” or anything like that- I just think that the style between the bands is too close to dismiss some basic similarities. You’re right about getting hung up on your wording. I guess that was my point- that it was too extreme of a statement to make. Anyway, all that aside, I am glad to hear that the album has been both meaningful and enjoyable for you. That’s really cool. I by no means dislike this band, I just have been unable at this point to get into them, even though I’ve really tried. And for me, it’s for those reasons that Sara states in the last paragraph of the review. But liking something isn’t a science and people have a diversity of tastes- so if they are getting to do what they love to do, and there are people like yourself that are loving what they do, then that’s cool

15. AustinG says:

Is it just me, or do most of the new bands signed to Tooth & Nail tend to have quality production, but the musical aspect tends to be swayed towards a “pop” feel (used loosely, as in listenable/radio friendly)? I’m not saying this is always the case, but when it comes to bands like The Letter Black (ex-Breaking the Silence), Sent By Ravens, Icon For Hire and Nine Lashes, I prefer the music they made before going into contract with Tooth & Nail Records. It also seems to be happening with BEC artists too (take the new Kutless song “Carry Me to the Cross,” Manafest “Never Let You Go” and Seventh Day Slumber’s latest album “The Anthem of Angels”), which is no surprise since Tooth & Nail is closely affiliated with them (I want to say Tooth & Nail is the mother company of BEC, but I have no information to back that up).

Sorry if all that sounded negative, I just felt it needed to be said. I’m still looking forward to the new SBR album “Mean What You Say” (and hope they don’t cut the final track down to under 4 minutes like they did 2 of the songs on “Our Graceful Words”) and I hope I don’t discourage anyone from enjoying Nine Lashes!

• All across the map, really. Any label that seems directly connected as accessible to the CCM market seems to be doing the same thing. A couple of us commented on the post on Abandon Kansas’s new track. It seems Gotee is making the same move. Almost everything that’s been coming off that label recently feels like it’s been influenced by Tobymac. That whole shinier production thing is great for certain audiences, and is certainly accessible for the older generation. But unfortunately, it’s starting to seep down into the production of bands that are still trying to maintain credible market amongst the underground and fringe cultures.

Take Manafest for example. His music and ministry aren’t realistically meant to be marketed towards church attending adults. His first albums confirm that. His target audience was mainly urban hip hop culture and skater punk enthusiasts, withs some rap rock revivalism. The newer direction has definitely solidified to nod to rock influence, but unfortunately has stolen away 3/4 of his hip hop influence. It decidedly more marketable next to Pillar or Seventh Day Slumber in a Christian bookstore or on Christian radio, but is up for debate as to whether it actually rocks as hard as some of the gang that he tours with. And unfortunately, because of putting himself in the CCM market, he will no longer have an opportunity to have as much influence in the hip hop underground with Lecrae, Braille, Propoganda, or Trip Lee.

And I’d somewhat agree, AustinG, with Sent By Ravens becoming more pop/rock influenced in production. I’m hoping they maintain their edge in their live shows, because they really are fascinating in terms of lyricism and dynamics.

• Sam says:

I would argue that Icon for Hire and Sent By Ravens have a bit of an alternative/indie rock element to their music beneath all the pop production (though IFH has more of it on their older songs), and that even some of the newer signings like Shine Bright Baby and Abandoned Pools have it too. I agree that your definition of “pop” is a little loose (“listenable”? So “Friday” by Rebecca Black is not a pop song?(;) That said, I haven’t listened to this album in depth enough to include Nine Lashes in that, and The Letter Black is most definitely a pop rock band trying to seem heavy by adding the odd power chord/awkward scream. And if we’re talking about Tooth & Nail going pop, we would have to include Hyland and Tooth & Nail in that discussion.

And as far as BEC goes, this page might help clarify things.

• Smacky X says:

Sam says:

“And as far as Manafest, I think people are making too much of a deal about that song. If having a worship ballad counts as changing your sound to be more marketable, Underoath, TDWP, and Before Their Eyes (a very short list) should be touring with Jeremy Camp and Steven Curtis Chapman already.”

I like this.

16. Eko says:

I’ve only heard a few of their songs but these guys never impressed me that much.

17. Dave says:

I think that Nine Lashes and Icon For Hire are two of the best releases that T&N has had in a long time! Both are fantastic albums in my opinion!!!

18. Van Tassel says:

Just got word “World We View” placed 3rd in all time sales for a new band on the Tooth label. So someone likes the album! God Bless you Nine Lashes! Can’t wait to see what God does next!

19. Dave says:

I love The Classic Crime a great deal, but they are not really the same genre of music as Icon For Hire or Nine Lashes. TCC is fantastic at what they do and so is IFH and Nine Lashes! To compare them is kind of pointless. If you don’t like IFH or NL, it is probably because you simply do not care for their genre of music, which is fine. A more meaningful comparison would be something like TCC vs Switchfoot or possibly even some of the newer Thrice material. Or IFH and Nine Lashes vs Red, TFK, Fireflight, Since October, The Letter Black, etc.

• Iaya97 says:

I wasn’t really comparing them, but you do have a good point. I’m not much of a fan of either Nine Lashes’ or IFH’s genres. Still, TCC shows more creativity in their genre than those two bands do in their respective genres.

• Lucas says:

I mean this with all due respect to your tastes in music, Dave, but I personally find it hard to enjoy alternative metal/hard rock music because of the lack of innovation. That being said I love (and I mean LOVE) Flyleaf as well as TFK, Fireflight, and Blindside. I also think RED is a lot more talented than people give them credit for.
      As for Nine Lashes this just isn’t anything special to me.. the only song I felt like replaying was “Adrenaline” mainly cause Trevor McNevan was in it.

• Lucas says:

Also Dave I did enjoy Icon For Hire a bit. :) I’m really excited to see where they go for their next album cause I can see them being amazing in the future. I don’t know why but I’m drawn to the female vocalists in this genre..

• Sam says:

Yeah, I also would like to see where Icon goes with their next album, as Scripted feels like that competent-but-lacking first album a lot of good bands seem to have, and I think they have a lot more depth and personality than a lot of people have been giving them credit for. Nine Lashes, on the other hand….well, after some consideration, while I still love “Anthem of the Lonely”, I think that, as much as I dig their sound, and even how the lyrics are phrased, the way the lyrical themes tie in to all that just doesn’t get a reaction out of me like I think it should. Someone like Fireflight can do the cliched positive message in a rock setting and make it flow and seem natural, but with these guys it feels a little weird and forced.

So basically, IMO: IFH ok, NL less ok. TCC friggin awesome.

20. zinnyzxx says:

Why do we need another breaking benjamin? Generic rock as always

21. Smith says:

I definitely think that if you are an avid listener of RED, you’ll hear huge differences in Nine Lashes.

Lyrically, RED delves much deeper in the darker aspects of our lives in an attempt to reach out to people who are severely struggling, relate themselves with people, and then redeem them with their message of Christ. RED, I feel, is much heavier, darker, and much more forceful than Nine Lashes.

However, Nine Lashes is still an incredibly strong band and is inspiring. They aren’t as gloomy as RED, and they seem to be influenced by many pop elements. But, I think this allows them to relate more with an audience who listens to mainstream music.

I don’t think that means there are no similarities between the two bands, but why argue about it? Instead of disputing about their sound, why don’t we actually focus on their message, which is what they both intended. RED and Nine Lashes have very strong themes of faith and messages about Christ in their music. Nine Lashes isn’t just doing it out of entertainment; they’re making a ministry out of it, which earns them brownie points in my book.

22. grintex says:

i’d honestly disagree, i could hear these guys most of any were and tell you who it was. there sound may not be very distinguishable form others of the same genre. but again is their first album, they have only written 12 songs, and it is very rare and hard for a band to develop their own personal sound within their first album, the only band i know, whos’ first album was truly unique was FF5. i don’t get why every judges a new band on their sound so harshly, of course they will sound similar, unintentional or intentional new musician emulate what they listen to, then experiments as their skill develops. point is this isn’t really their sound, a bands sound is somthing that develops over time. also, on sounding like TFK, i find when ever Trevor accompanies on a track, it sounds simular to them.

23. Zac says:

When you have people arguing about who a band sounds like more, it tells you a lot about the band.

Attention, new bands! Stop doing the same things, the same chords, the same vocals, the same song names, and the same sound same everything.

Do something new, that doesnt sound “hard” or heavy”. Music is an extension of the soul, and it gets used like a prostitute when you have “music” like this.

24. Zac says:

Please allow me to re-state my previous comment

Do something new, that doesnt sound “hard” or heavy”. Music is an extension of the soul, nobody should give a crap about how heavy it sounds, or how catchy it is. Lyrics have become carbon copies of something already generic and done a hundred times before. On top of that, they feel the need to pick a vocalist who sounds exactly like 5 bands before them. And why is this? Fame. That’s all these “heart filled” bands are about. Half of these bands featured on this site don’t care at all about god or jesus. All they do is maybe have 1 “christian” song an album, mention Him once a show, maybe? And then avoid swear words.

It’s a joke that they get away with this, and it angers me even more when people limit their music tastes to “christian” music. There is music that is secular that can be much more honest and true than half of this “christian” releases.
    Music is supposed to be from the soul, and it gets used like a prostitute when you have “music” like this.