Becoming the Archetype

By Steve on November-28-2011 | Filed under Interviews | Tags : , , , , | Share

Becoming the Archetype

Becoming the Archetype guitarist Seth Hecox took some time to talk about their band member changes, and the new Christmas single, Oh Holy Night.

I’ve heard some rumors that Jason is no longer with BTA. If this is true, who is replacing him and what is their background? What will all this mean for BTA going
The rumors are true.  Jason and his wife are expecting their first child, who is due on December 26.  Because of this, Jason couldn’t manage being on the road for 7 straight weeks this summer and then nearly 4 weeks in Europe this fall.  So our friend Chris McCane filled in and he did a great job.

Jason feels that he can’t tour in the future and without being able to tour, we both felt it was time to move on.  Especially with Chris being ready to step in and doing such a great job.

Jason will always be remembered and I still consult him from time to time about the band.  He’s one of my best friends and probably always will be.

Can you go into any more details/specifics on Chris McCane’s resume?
Chris McCane was in Daniel’s other band, Thaddeus.  He’s been a friend of the band for years and runs a venue near where we live.  Oh Holy Night is the first song Chris recorded on for BTA, but he recorded some demo tracks with Thaddeus that gave us an idea of his vocal style.

Chris mainly won me over for the job based on his incredible live energy and stage persona as well as his great personality.  When you’re on a long tour and sharing a van with the same guys for weeks, an annoying personality can ruin the experience for everyone, no matter how good they are at their instrument (or vocals, in this case). Chris’s personality fits well with Daniel and me.  That, coupled with his extremely entertaining stage performance, makes him perfect for us moving forward.

Will you guys be touring more frequently with the new lineup?
We certainly hope so.  Our plan is to up the touring schedule a bit and hit some places we haven’t in awhile.

Is it too early to ask about a new full length? Are you guys at least kicking around the idea?
You must be clairvoyant, haha.  I actually talked to Solid State a couple weeks ago about recording our next full length.  Daniel and I have begun writing already and we may be in the studio as early as March.  You’ll see a lot of similarities to Dichotomy and Celestial Completion on our next album.  We’ll still have a progressive and experimental sound, but this time around, the experimentation is gonna come mostly from within our normal instruments, such as guitar and keys.  I loved how the horns and sitar worked out on CC and was proud to have orchestrated such a wide-ranging sound but I have no interest in going down that road again.  Yet…

So what made you guys choose Oh Holy Night to cover? Were there any others you guys were thinking about?
That’s a Christmas song I’ve loved for a long time.  It’s the most epic sounding Christmas Carol since it’s in a minor key.  So it took awhile but I was finally able to get the ok from the label and get everything worked out.  And man, it worked out great.  I can’t wait for you guys to hear it!

Staying with “covers,” I’m sure you guys over the years have messed around and done some covers in your practice space, any interesting songs you guys played?
Honestly, we haven’t done much of that.  We’ve talked about covering a Garth Brooks song.  After much discussion, we settled on “The Thunder Rolls” only to have it shut down by a previous member.  We have covered certain riffs as intros to our live sets.  In ’09, we frequently started our set with “Sad But True” by Metallica.  This year, we started quite a few shows with “Stand up and Shout” by Steel Dragon, from the movie Rock Star.

Do you guys have any special or interesting Christmas stories that you guys have had as a band?
Well, we spend most of our Christmas time dressing up Clifton as Santa, so there’s not much time for stories, haha.  We usually try to be home with family instead of on the road for Christmas.  Other than the fistfight I got into with my uncle a couple Christmases ago, there’s not too much to tell…

How did your last two tours go (your CD release with Day of Vengeance and then your longer tour with To Speak of Wolves and Inhale Exhale)? How has Celestial Completion been received by the metal world? Has it been as successful as you guys imagined/prayed for?
The tours went well, overall.  There were some low turnouts, but it seems like everyone is experiencing that now.  With the music scene (and especially the heavy music scene) being oversaturated, there are too many shows to compete with now.  In the US, everyone is in a band and everyone expects their band to open for the bands they look up to.  So you’re really stuck with the very difficult task of promoting an event that isn’t all that unique, considering all the other heavy music tours going on at the same time.  But overall, it was fun.  We had a blast and the guys in the other bands were really fun.  It’s always good to be on the open road.

Celestial Completion seems to have caught on with most of our fans.  And I think it helped us start to gain more traction in the mainstream metal world.  I don’t know if this is the best way to judge that or not, but we seem to be mentioned in articles and then defended more often in the comments on sites like metalsucks.net and lambgoat.

What is your take on the current metal world? Everyone talks/complains about how stale the metal world is and that every album/band sound the same. How have you guys tried to keep things fresh and new yet still keeping it METAL?
Just like most members of heavy bands, I don’t listen to a whole lot of heavy music.  And what heavy music I do listen to is bigger bands for the most part.  Bands like Mastodon, Opeth, Disturbed, Rob Zombie, System of a Down and Strapping Young Lad are my most frequent listens in heavy music.  But mostly I listen to other things, so I feel unqualified to speak about the current metal world and its homogeneity or lack thereof.  I will reiterate that there’s a definite oversaturation in the heavy music world and it’s making it even more difficult for bands like us to stay afloat.  Kids love certain bands and for some reason, their natural reaction is to start a band that sounds like the band they look up to.  Ironically, they’re killing the band they look up to because they give metal fans band number 1,357,983 to listen to and pretend to care about.

To keep things fresh, we utilize our music education and incorporate world instruments, a la Invisible Creature and Cardiac Rebellion.  What is metal is really just being aggressive and rebellious and musical.  All the members of BTA have those elements within them so it basically comes down to looking within and seeing what dark things the soul has to speak in the language of music.

What’s the most embarrassing that has happened to any of you guys while on stage?
Well, we had a blast on stage in Europe.  Daniel tripped and nearly fell on his face, which was hilarious but probably a little embarrassing at the time.  I ripped my pants stepping onto stage for our show in London so I think all the lovely British metal heads got to peak at parts of my body that probably should’ve been kept in a closet somewhere. In South Africa, I forgot to start a riff of a song that I intro, but luckily we were able to smoothly play it off. Otherwise, that would’ve been really embarrassing!

About the author Steve

Originally, from Albuquerque, NM but now I live in the Minneapolis area. I love Metal and Hardcore but I can tolerate pretty much anything. Albums I couldn't live without: Any Living Sacrifice album with Bruce on vocals, INXS - Kick, and AC/DC - Back in Black View all posts by Steve

30 Responses to 'Becoming the Archetype'

1. Loren Wade says:

I am indescribably sad. I love Jason.

2. Mike K says:

I’s gonna be hard for this band right now, Jason what really unique with his vocals. so this plus CC beeing big letdown for me equals really uncertain future from my perspective. and even if I don’t have much intrest for the band in this point I still wish them only luck cuz their past works are truly briliant

• Agreed, 4 the most part, lol. It just seems ther like on this awesum album, mediocre album thing. Like terminate damnation+ dichotomy 4 me wer clasix, but the physix of fire+ celestial not so much. Stil beta than most of the crap out ther, but they set the bar realy hi wit terminate+ dochotomy, lol.

• Lee Brown says:

Cc is by far one of my favorite albums of the year. Verging on my all time list. But between Jason leaving and his soul being fed by rob zombie of all poeple, this is a sad night. And right after I bought their Christmas song of all times.

• Lee Brown,
      “his soul being fed by rob zombie of all people”. Wth? Explain, lol.

3. Brody B says:

Both times I’ve seen the band with Chris, the vocals have come out really muffled over the monitors so I can’t really tell what he sounds like! I’m very excited about the Christmas song though

4. kevin fitz says:

Their stage presence has gotten a lot better. Jason was stuck doing vocals and bass so ge was pretty limited. I’ll miss Jason, a lot. I’ve heard Chris live a couple times, and from what I’ve heard, I’ve liked, so I’m not too worried. I look forward to seeing them more in the future. That 5 year gap sucked. Hahahaha.

Good to hear they’re ready to record already too!
    I better hear more harpsichord!!!!

5. Tim says:

Sad about Jason. Excited about the Christmas song.

6. CellarGore says:

The news about Jason leaving BTA ruined my entire day. I stared at the wall for several minutes like a moron. His vocals, lyrics, passion, and inspiration is what made me listen to the band in the first place. BTA is one of the most unique death metal bands I’ve ever come across and I hope it keeps up the fight without him.

Does anyone know if Jason sings on the Christmas single? It would be beyond amazing if it transitioned from Wisdom to McCane somehow in mid-song.

• Steve says:

No Chris is on the Christmas single, that is why they wanted to announce that Jason had left so people wouldn’t hear it and wonder about Jason

7. BigBillSmash says:

My heart just broke a little bit, Jason Wisdom is the man. He will be missed.

8. ….sigh……. I have all of their cds, including a The Remnant cd, one cd booklet signed, a sticker signed, pictures with the band, two shirts, and all I ever wanted was to meet the man of BTA…. Well, one of the two, I met Count Seth and he’s awe inspiring(and massive.) Now… Sir Jason Wisdom has left the ensemble… has been whisked away by the toils of family… He is acting in the right, but… I so do wish that I could have at least shook his sweaty, bass harden hand, at least once… but this dream has died…. I guess I must journey to his home and ask of him this one gift that i, a mere peasant amongst the metal gods, so desire…. Grand master Wisdom…. you have let a little hole in my heart…. But we must all continue on… somehow… without you…

• Lucas says:

That speech deserves a slow clap.

• Dan S. says:

Oooookay, that’s a little on the awkward side, haha lololol.
      Hate to say it, but I’ve never really been able to get into this band, so I don’t feel any loss, so to speak. Sorry for the rest of you all, though. BTA from what I know holds their own really well, so I doubt they would settle for someone mediocre. Or without a beard. :)

9. Kevin Fitz says:

Has anyone actually heard O Holy Night?
    That song is really really good. Which makes me excited for the new album with Chris on vocals. :)

10. Travis says:

This saddens me so much. But stoked they are still going on with out him. I’m excited to hear the new track. I got to see Chris play with them live this summer and he did an incredible job. I think it was so much better having an actual front man. I think it brough up there live performance to the next level. I wonder who will be playing bass.

11. Jeremie says:

As much as i love Jason’s voice, and though it is unique, live the band is much much much better now with Chris on vocal. As said earlier Jason was stuck with his bass in hand, on the other hand Chris moves all over the place! And he has a very decent scream as well! Seen the band twice when they were in Europe and those where the two best shows i’ve seen from them (seen them 5 times now)

12. CellarGore says:

Saw Jason in the Facebook Like section —>

Broke down crying.

13. Dustin Higginbotham (bloodyghost777) says:

Made me sad….made me cry:'( But I’m so thankful that Jason and his wife are gonna have their first baby!! Personally if he’s gonna leave the band…that’s what its gonna be for! God Bless him for the years that he’s given us with BTA and I pray that he’ll do some guest vocals:)

14. CellarGore says:

Good lord, I can’t stop playing the new Christmas single. Buy it. So worth it after the first few listens.