And Then There Were None

By Scott.L on January-21-2009 | Filed under Interviews | Tags : , , | Share

attwn-1

Scott, IVM: Give me a rundown of who’s-who in the band.

Sean plays guitar and loves backing up our trailer. Matt M plays synth and is very talented at acquiring free food. Nick plays guitar and is 17 years old. Ryan plays drums and can harmonize any melody. I sing and I am obsessed with programming music.

What’s the history of the band. How did everybody meet.

Sean and I met in elementary school through ccd at our church. We started making music in middle school solely because we thought it would be cool to start a band. By college we were playing metal and touring frequently. At that time Ryan was playing drums and Matt M was actually merching for us on tour. After months of listening to Eurodance in the van we decided we would all be a lot happier playing so we dropped off tour and wrote what we are now playing. A year ago we were still metal, a lot has changed.

What’s the story behind the band’s name?

Truthfully, on sparknotes.com and then there were none was between the books Aerosmith and As I Lay Dying. To me, the answer was clear.

Christian band, Christians in a band, or other?

We are not all Christians, we also want to reach out to everyone regardless of their beliefs. However, we are not a band to just make music, we are really going to push for social change and help all we can along the way.

How would you describe the band’s style of music?

Eurodance mixed with rock. Cascada meets Alkaline Trio.

What are some of the band’s influences?

Basshunter, Cascada, Alkaline Trio and Saves The Days “Through Being Cool”.

What are some of the band’s inspirations?

We are really inspired by volunteer organizations that are working super hard to make things better. We have met some amazing people on tour that do things like; build homeless shelters, promote vegetarianism, raise money for cancer, etc.

Let us in on a stand-out moment where you just thought, “Thank you, God.”

When Obama was elected president.

Fill us in on the direction that you believe God is taking you as a band.

I think we’ve been given a great opportunity to work with tooth and nail and each day we have new things to conquer.

Share your heart for a moment. Why do you do what you do?

I love music, I love creating art, I love when others enjoy our music and I enjoy meeting new interesting people.

What do you hope a listener comes away with after listening to your cd?

I hope listeners really feel like they hearing something new and fresh, I hope they take the music as something fun, but can find meaning in my words.

What were the best and worst venues you’ve played? And why?

Best venue was Club Satyricon in Portland, Oregon on the millionaires tour bc of best sound and extremely sold out. The worst was ATTWN headlining Hesser College in Manchester, New Hampshire on school spirit day. Three people eating hotdogs while hating our loud music. Oh… and our power went out bc of a cotton candy machine.

What was the most encouraging and/or humbling thing(s) to happen at a live show?

The most encouraging show moment was Poughkeepsie, New York at the chance. We were playing with death metal bands so we were pretty anxious, but kids ended up loving the show and new all the words, it was amazing.

In what ways do you feel that the band has grown and matured since it’s formation?

I think we finally get it. We know that it’s not about money, merch. and trying to impress, it’s about writing music that YOU enjoy and hopefully others do too. It’s about enjoying every day.

If you could say one thing to a young person struggling with purpose and direction in life, what would it be?

I would say find something that you can be passionate about. Mine is writing music, living the cruelty free lifestyle and meeting new people. I would hope someone struggling with direction could reach out to someone and make a difference.

Any last comments you would like to leave the readers with

Spicy sweet chili Doritos, Morning Star riblets, seitan, Oreo cookies, anything Boca, broccoli, peanut butter and lentel soup are all vegan!

And Then There Were None “Who Speaks For Planet Earth?” releases February 24, 2009.

28 Responses to 'And Then There Were None'

1. Andy K says:

Nice interview! I’m looking forward to hearing their new album.

2. Levi says:

How do you play with non Christians everyday
    And you still haven’t led them to Christ
    Hmmmm…..

3. Andrew says:

What kind of question is that? Not everyone’s heart is open to hearing/believing in Christ even if you are a positive influence and try to lead them in the right direction.

4. Levi says:

Well the Bible tells us to preach To all of the world
    And if they do not wish to listen then we should
    leave the city and kick the dust off our feet to show
    We’ve told them all we can but they did not wish to
    listen,
    Read Luke Chapter 9

5. Tyler.H says:

not everyone i work with is a Christian either. I still like my job. i think what Levi is referring to is the people who are called to be evangelists, specifically Jesus was talking to the apostles. It was a big scale situation, telling them not to waste time on towns that weren’t going to listen. It wasn’t a call to give up on individuals.

6. Levi says:

I’m not saying to give up on them,
    but hanging out with Christians everyday
    should make you become more likely to
    want to try this whole christian thing out
    (depending on whether you’re real or not)
    And I’m not talking about your job I’m talking about
    Evangelism, because when you claim Christ
    and you get up on that stage,
    then that’s exactly what you’re doing
    Whether you realize it or not
    You’re helping or hurting someone’s walk with Christ
    (And I’m not yelling, I’m just curious)

7. Griffin says:

Holy crap, I love these boys. Multiple Alk3 references? Win.

8. Levi G says:

“Let us in on a stand-out moment where you just thought,

9. Nolan G.brecht. says:

Levi: At what point do you “leave the city” and assume that whomever you’re talking to is not going to listen?

I’ve worked at an inner-city drop-in center for many years and there was one guy that was coming to center before I started working there and who came during the five years I worked there. We talked to him about Christ and Christianity consistently. It was after I left when I heard that he became a Christan. It was a “Praise God!” moment for me. However, that moment was over 9 years int he making.

These things can happen overnight or they can take a decade. Unless you are intimately involved in the situation, I think caution is in order when assuming judgement.

10. Levi says:

Good point Nolan
    Helping people is the way to go
    We just had a bible study about exactly
    What you’re talking about
    I’m just saying the Idea of Half christian half not bands send a mixed signal
    Like a White washed gospel

11. Nolan G.brecht. says:

“I

12. Levi says:

Actually it sends a were here for what’s happening now kind of message
    And not what’s happening in the next life
    Cause as far as I’m concerned those are lost souls
    and they will go to hell when they die,
    Now a lot of people don’t want to hear that but that’s the truth
    And I know that I’m coming off as a nut and this isn’t how to share the gospel
    But a lot of Christians seem to forget what Christ did for them
    And what he could be doing for all of your loved ones

13. Nolan G.brecht. says:

As I stated in my previous post, the impressions and message I received were specific to me. On the other hand, it seems that you have a need to use broad, black and white stokes to describe the message people should/do receive.

In this discussion, I think we’ve been pretty convivial and polite, however I need to say that this condemnation of this band really irritates me. You are extrapolating an awful lot based on one simple fact; from one simple fact you seem to be accusing and slandering the faith of some young men with absolutely no correlation to reality and the facts.

These guys may be the next Billy Graham and they also may be Sunday morning Christians. The reality is that we – you or me – have no idea of the truth in this matter.

Sorry if this comes off as a bit harsh, but in my opinion the only space that Christianity provides for harsh words against the actions of a brother or sister of the faith come in the context of a personal relationship where the first confrontation is in private.

14. I don’t think there’s such a thing as “half-Christian, half-not” bands any more than “half-Christian, half-not” hospitals, law firms or football teams. I think the commercial culture of Christianity is somewhat ridiculous, to be honest.

15. Nolan G.brecht. says:

Seconded, THH

16. Brandon says:

Nolan, you made some great points and I applaud you for your civility. Everyone has stayed pretty polite so far, let’s keep it that way.

17. Griffin says:

This is a good discussion, yeah.

(If you guys like cool discussions like this, join the forums! /plug)

18. Levi says:

Well said Nolan :)
    Not so much THH.

19. Griffin says:

Tell me what’s on your mind.

20. Biggy says:

I think in today’s society, it’s very difficult to reach people with the Gospel by telling them about it. People today are so turned off by any kind of religious influences. One example I have seen is this. Whenever I travel to work there are a group of men that stand at an intersection holding signs that say “You’re going to Hell if you’re a sinner” and “God hates Gays”. That is most definitely the wrong way to go about doing it. I have always lived by letting my walk do the talking, and when the opportunity presents itself, sharing the Gospel with someone. And about the comment about them leaving the other groups just because they haven’t led them to Christ. That’s just a little bit on the ignorant side, because then you have to ask yourself the same thing about your job, your friends, your home, and your church. Those are ALL mission fields. We are called to be a peculiar people and as such the thing that should be so peculiar is Christs’ love emanating from us, not our fingers pointing out their faults. That’s not our job, that’s God’s job.

Hope you all are having a blessed day. And this band still rocks. :D

21. james says:

religion only leads to war and social seperation

22. james says:

so if people in africa never hear about christ and they are good people with good morals and strong ethics they are going to hell? It doesnt seem like the warm and loving god you make it out to be. Thats the problem with people like you because you are so stubborn and engulfed in your “my belief is right and your’s is not” theory. If god were loving then he would accept people for who they are, no matter if their buddhusts, muslim, jewish, or gay. God wants us to be happy not slaves.

23. Brandon says:

“Religion only leads to war and social separation”?

That’s a common misconception spread by non-Christians, Athiests, and Agnostics about “Christianity” and holds no validity. We follow a peaceful God who loves and cares for us. It’s about a personal relationship in Christ and not “religion”.

24. RJ says:

Romans 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
    13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
    14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
    15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)
    16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Secondly….

“And this Gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in ALL THE WORLD for a witness unto all nations; & then shall the End come.” (Matthew 24:14)

The problem isn’t with people who lead others to the Truth as much as it is with those who would outwardly rebel against it creating excuses and illogical objections and hypotheses to justify their views rather than seek the Truth. God does love all peoples regardless of race, religion or whatever. However He has only made one way into Heaven and has told us to tell others of it. You have been given the free will to choose that Way or to not choose it. Not choosing it is the same as rejecting it and this rejection is the only reason anyone goes to hell. You wouldn’t dare attempt to attend a college without first finding out it’s requirements and meeting them, you couldn’t go and make up your own and expect them to adhere to it. The same goes for the kingdom of God. He has one requirement: Jesus Christ.

25. I also wanted to say that though God is a loving God he is also a just God. He is bound to his word and would be a liar if he let just anyone into heaven. He tells us that all of us fall short of the glory of God so there is no one that is ‘good enough’.

26. Rachael says:

I don’t see why it matters what religion they are. They say they’re Christian, you should take them at their word. I’m not Christian by any stretch of the imagination, but I still enjoy their music a ton. Good music is good music.

Exclusive: Harbor and Home Music Video Premiere

Exclusive: The Beautiful Discord Music Video Premiere

Exclusive: BoughtXBlood Releases Music Video for “Restoration”