Demon Hunter Hints at a 2014 Album

By Taylor C. on November-18-2013 | Filed under News | Tags : , , , | Share

Demon Hunter Hints at a 2014 Album

This is old news to the hip people who follow Demon Hunter on Instagram, but it was new to me. From August through October, the band has been sharing pictures that suggest a MMXIV (2014) release for their 7th studio album. This will be the followup to their 2012 full-length, “True Defiance.”

About the author Taylor C.

"I read, much of the night, and go south in the winter." —T.S. Eliot View all posts by Taylor C.

31 Responses to 'Demon Hunter Hints at a 2014 Album'

1. Lee Brown says:

Dibs on the review, lol.

2. Lee Brown says:

Ok. Now I want to find a way to delete the comment. I was a dork and assumed it was a post by Brandon. Seeing it isn’t makes me feel like I came across as a tool above.

3. Derek O. says:

Can we all agree that True Defiance was terrible?

• Chris J. says:

Didn’t like it either. Honestly, I’ve had a hard time getting into their albums since Triptych

• Taylor C. says:

I think it was a step up from TWIAT (which I’ll admit was a few steps back). As far as this 2014 album is concerned, I’m more excited for the artwork than anything else.

• Smacky X says:

Disagree. Loved True Defiance! I loved TWIAT less so but it grew on me hugely. For me a lesser-loved Demon Hunter album is still heads and shoulders above the majority of metal out there.

• MrM says:

I rather enjoyed True Defiance. I thought it was better than TWIAT, but TWIAT did start to grow on me more after listening to True Defiance. TWIAT acted as a transition for me I guess. Storm the Gates of Hell is still my favourite album, I’ve still been meaning to get a deluxe edition, the bonus tracks were excellent

But I have to add my support on to Taylor’s comment, I always love their artwork. Except TWIAT’s deluxe edition. I require demon skulls on a DH album cover.

I’m definitely excited for this new album

• Jonathan says:

Yeah I wasn’t a fan of True Deficance, but TWIAT is their best album IMO. I guess I’m just weird.

• Alastair says:

I agree with Derek. I didn’t enjoy it at all. But, I only enjoyed their first four albums. I hope this one can prove me wrong, but thats what I said about the last one too.

• Zac says:

Now that I have found fellow beings that also think true defiance was quite bad, I would be so overjoyed to have someone’s opinion on this.
      Believe me I have given significant thought on why true defiance wasn’t necessarily, but it was very forgettable.
      And I believe I have found the reason. The album is killed by Aaron Sprinkle.
      I don’t say that lightly. Aaron brought anberlin back to life and is a tremendous producer.
      But with the amount of albums he’s done with DH, they need a change.
      Do you remember how they did the bass drum on TD? It was a fake drum. Not real. The production on Ryans voice, the guitar sound, all needed to change.
      I guarantee you that if someone else produced it, the album would be much different and better.

• Chandler A. says:

I agree with Jonathon, I wasn’t a huge TD fan, but the World is a Thorn is awesome. Not their best, but freaking awesome.

• Solly says:

I completely disagree. TD wasn’t their best but to label it as terrible is an irresponsible mistake. My Destiny, God Forsaken, Crucifix…the list goes on. All listenable.

4. Lee Brown says:

The triptych was their high point for me, though Storm the Gates as still great. I’ve liked each release a bit less than the last since then… but average Demon Hunter is better than what some bands consider really knocking it out of the park in my opinion.

5. CommanderKeen says:

Honestly, their only album I don’t listen to as often is the Triptych. I thought True Defiance was a fantastic album, and this new one should be amazing as well. I love the title “Extremist”, and can’t wait to see what ideas they explore lyrically.

6. Jeff says:

Summer of Darkness is their best in my opinion.

7. Scott says:

I’m not a fan of the scream and then sing on the chorus, structure so I’m not a huge fan of most of Demon Hunter’s work. The World is a Thorn was good though.

8. Brandon J. says:

For some reason I always dig Ryan’s singing vocals on the songs. I like the heavy stuff too but the balance between heavy/singing just does it for me. I enjoy most of their work but I agree that something was just missing with True Defiance that made me not go back and visit the album as much as other Demon Hunter stuff. I like Summer of Darkness, The Triptych, Storm the Gates of Hell, and World is a Thorn. I also always thought it’d be cool to get a stripped down almost acoustic type ep or album from these guys, either as a bonus with the new album or as a stand alone.

I prefer the more post-hardcore side of heavy music (as opposed to flat out metal) so I don’t love Demon Hunter. That being said I still think “The World is a Thorn” is a superb album. The musicianship is superb all the way through and it seems a lot more melodic and diverse than most of their other albums. My friend who practically worships Demon Hunter thinks it’s their best album too. Don’t really understand the relative distaste for it in comparison to albums like “The Triptych” and “Summer of Darkness”. And I agree, “True Defiance” just sounded like a rehash of everything they’ve ever done. Not a fan.

• Matthew says:

Lucas, I love The World is a Thorn too. The Triptych is my favorite also. Those 2 albums are actually my favorite DH albums. I guess I am just “weird!”

10. John says:

I think all the albums are good. Personally, True Defiance is my favorite album. I actually think Storm the Gates of Hell might be a tie for my favorite though. And then The Triptych and The World is a Thorn are another tie for second. I really like them all, it’s hard to decide! I’m not the BIGGEST fan of their self-titled album, or Summer of Darkness, however, I do like them. I just like the others more. I personally think every album is good.

11. Vince says:

DH is awesome…True Defiance was and still is awesome…all there stuff is good…come on…

12. Daniel says:

I always enjoy the band even more when new stuff comes out. I really hate how overrated Triptych is. Granted it’s good, but I feel other albums are way overlooked/under appreciated. They each offer their own different stuff.