My Heart To Fear – The Witching Hour Pt. II

By JoshIVM on June-6-2013 | Filed under Lyric Video | Tags : , , , , , | Share

My Heart To Fear have debuted a brand new lyric video for “The Witching Hour Pt. II”. The song appears on the band’s upcoming full length, titled Algorithm, which releases July 9th via Solid State Records. Watch below & pre-order.

57 Responses to 'My Heart To Fear – The Witching Hour Pt. II'

1. Jared says:

There are parts of the song that are good, but they get clobbered with all those sloppy transitions, cheesy melodies, and awful lyrics. 2.16-2:22 made me laugh so hard. I can see HUGE potential in the band, once they figure out their song-writing chops a little more I could see them putting out a good release. As for the song 2.3/5

Had high hopes for this record, but did not expect this to be that mediocre. I feel like the song itself was executed so awkwardly I can’t even get a handle on the musicianship..

• Lucas says:

That is, it’s hard for me to even look past the song structure at the actual instrumentation. If that makes any sense. I wonder if the rest of the record is better. In terms of quality, this song almost reminds me of two other bands that no song should remind me of.

3. The theme could’ve been really good, but the songwriting style is pretty awkward. Way too choppy and cheesy to tell a good story. This is my beef with metalcore bands who try to tell stories. If you don’t do it right, it sounds like you just cut and pasted phrases and sentences to fit.

4. CommanderKeen says:

The only band I’ve ever liked that told “stories” through songs is Defeater. This just felt supremely jumbled and mismatched and like it wanted to be two different songs. Also, I’m sure (at least I really hope) this song might make sense in the grand context of the album, but by itself is just a total head scratcher.

5. epicarson says:

It’s not the worst.. but there’s definitely room for improvement.
    Also, the lyric video is almost too shaky sometimes to read the words.
    Anyone else notice that the clean vocals kinda sound like The Classic Crime?

6. David M says:

At risk of being a “negative nancy” and a “bad Christian”, this is why I can’t stand Christian “metal” anymore. I understand I’m abusing quotation marks here, but Christian metal used to have a good reputation with bands like Living Sacrifice, Extol, Zao, etc. being at the fore-front. The instrumentation was actually admired by secular counterparts and the lyrics were weren’t laughable. I don’t see the appeal for this band at all apart from high-schoolers that buy anything that is “br00tz for Jesus”. Call me jaded, but I’m just calling it as I see it.

• CommanderKeen says:

Actually, you’re not the only one. I too find the majority of Christian “metal” acts to be processed sounding cookie-cutter bands who have nothing really new to bring to the scene. For awhile now, I’ve felt like the music is more about the bands appearance then actual musicianship. Give me a ZAO record any day of the week over this.

• Steve says:

so true David, youth group “core”

• John B. says:

David, while I agree to a certain extent, you make it sound like this is a problem solely plaguing the christian heavy music scene. I find it interesting that no christian bands I can think of have reached the same level of “scene”-ness that I see in a lot of secular bands nowadays. There’s still plenty of great Metal in the Christian Market, you just have to dig deep and find it.

• Loren Wade says:

I understand your point, but I don’t understand how this song is “brootz for Jesus” either. I didn’t really get that feeling.

• David m says:

John, I know it’s not only Christian bands, but I feel like as Christians, we have the ability to write music that is set apart, literally and figuratively, and for the most part, that isn’t the case. And there are absolutely good Christian metal bands. My old band is proof of that.

And Loren, the “brootz for Jesus” was a joke. I just don’t really like Christian metal anymore. Haha. I feel like they’re still young. Once they mature a bit with their writing, it’ll get better.

• Loren Wade says:

I knew it was a joke. :)

• John B. says:

David, I definitely agree with you about writing music that is set apart. I actually agree with you about the problems facing heavy music today, I just don’t think it’s one that plagues christian musicians exclusively. That being said, I wish there were some really great Christian post-metal bands, I don’t think I’ve ever even heard of any specifically.

• David M says:

Post-metal as in…Isis? If so, I agree that it’s something that needs to happen. Same with Christian bands that unashamedly have Mastodon/the Sword influences, along with Cynic, Decapitated ,etc….

• John B. says:

Yeah, definitely like Isis. Although the thing I want to see most is some Christians getting together and really pioneering something new, and making waves in the progressive metal scene. Christian bands have done really well gaining recognition in Metalcore, but I haven’t really seen any making names for themselves in the more progressive, “artistic” side of metal (please correct me if I’m wrong).

• Christian post-metal… yeah, totally lacking. I’m a big fan of Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Isis, Cave in, etc. A Hope For Home’s last two albums are the only two that I know of that I’d consider post-metal of the Christian variety.

7. Bryce says:

Me: “Hey, this isn’t terrible….vocals are ok….well….that was…interesting….still not terrible….uhhhh…..what?….seriously?….whose idea was that?….lol…..not good.”

8. Chandler A. says:

Song & music aside, I watched a youtube video of these guys live and the vocalist said that he was heavily into witchcraft before he found Christ. I would really love to hear his full testimony, sounds interesting.

Honestly I didn’t think the song was the worst thing in the world. I’ve heard worse. Didn’t think the cleans fit well in the song at all though.

• Scott says:

Yeah, I’d like to hear his testimony as well.

• Bryce says:

Yeah, at Purple Door 2012 he claimed he found undeniable proof of God through being involved in witchcraft. I don’t know all the details, but I imagine it’s a pretty wild story.

• MrM says:

They actually posted a video of the condensed version of the story behind “The Witching Hour” (I can’t recommend the original version of it enough) on Facebook January last year. I don’t know how to link it, but if you’re really curious you can scroll down through their videos. It’s just under 13 minutes long, and he’s wearing a shirt and tie, if that helps XD

To sum up what I got out of it:
      He questioned God
      Turned to witchcraft.
      “If I see demons, I know there is a God”
      Some freaky deaky stuff started going down, such as the top of the jacuzzi randomly flying off, even though it’s 100+ pounds, was chained down, and there was no storm.
      “I plead the blood of Jesus” and the weird things stop
      cast demons out of the house, and brought them back repeatedly
      They set up a camera
      Recorded voices cussing and saying their names, heard running around the house, claw marks, coughing, gargling, etc
      Still happens occasionally

“If demons exist
      God does too
      And don’t get me wrong
      In essence it’s true
      But that’s the snare
      That caught my feet
      Because now every night
      They watch me sleep”

9. Steve says:

the cleans make me want to hurt kittens

10. Christian says:

Apart from the painful transitions (which may have been intended to be that uncomfortable, the way metalcore bands do cymbal catches and stuff) it seems to me that the song was composed of 5 or 6 completely different, unrelated parts that were stuck together. The bass line at 3:00 was pretty cool…

11. Scott says:

There are some parts of this song that are great! When I first started the song I thought it might go towards a djent-ish direction, which is not bad. And then the chorus kicks in… And it goes downhill fast.

12. Loren Wade says:

I guess I’m the only one who loved this song.

*shrug*

13. Travis Aker says:

I personally like the song myself,they kind of remind me a lot of Between The Buried and Me,I am going to have to listen to the rest of the album to really decide if I wanted to purchase it or not,over all I would probably give a 3.5 out of 5,their is definitely room for improvement.

• CommanderKeen says:

Having listened to pretty much nothing but BTBAM for the last week or so, I can sort of almost see the connection. The song is actually fairly technical at times and the bass at the end isn’t your standard “metalcore” chuggs. That being said, I have yet to find a good christian band that can go toe to toe with the Buried boys…and really I’m not sure I’m gonna find it with these guys.

• John B. says:

Hope For The Dying had some pseudo-BTBAM moments in their new album (see: Visions), but besides that I can’t really think of anything remotely similar to BTBAM in the Christian market.

• epicarson says:

I just found these guys, christian technical death metal, and they have similar styles to BTBAM (from what I understand. Not a huge fan of that personally so I’m not completely clear), and cite them as one of their references.

14. Yorik says:

haha i listened to this like ‘it can’t be THAT bad’ but then realized what you guys are talking about. It could be good, but suuuper random transitions and odd lyrics. Anyways, good talk.

15. MrM says:

As a big fan of the band, I was pretty disappointed with the song. The Witching Hour itself is the song that made me fall in love with the band. One of the most played songs in my music library. However this second part was severely lacking for me. The lyrics didn’t seem as well crafted (just at first listen, I haven’t actually taken the time to look into them or anything), the song didn’t stand out at all, I was just really unimpressed. I wanna hear some other songs now, before I preorder

• MrM says:

Listening again, my biggest complaint is some of the vocal flow. Or lack thereof in some spots. But I actually like the random transitions. Spontaneity is exciting. Still not totally impressed, but better than my initial impression

16. drum_mer says:

Can’t get into this band for the screams alone. They sound like harsh whisper screams. And like everyone else said the transitions..oh the transitions.

17. Paul says:

Has potential but not at the level it should be. They are trying to do some experimental things and it just doesn’t work. I think some maturity and some help in the lyric category will greatly help these guys. E for effort doesn’t make a great album.

18. Runninginthesky says:

My opinion is most of you people have missed the whole point of this song, and the whole metalcore scene

19. thruchristalone777 says:

I don’t hate the song, but when the first set of cleans came in I did cringe a little bit. They came out of nowhere and felt really disjointed from the song up to that point. The lyrics were interesting. I Will probably stream the album on spotify once it drops.