Why “Lower Still” by My Epic Is One of the Greatest Songs of All Time

By Loren Wade on October-15-2012 | Filed under Articles | Share

This is a guest post by Loren Wade from Unlifer, whose blog launched today.

Sit down, take a seat, close Facebook, close Twitter, put your phone away, and turn off any other distractions and listen to this song.

Let the words sink in.

Performed by Jeremiah Austin (bass), Jesse Stone (drums, background vocals), Aaron Stone (vocals, guitar), and guest vocalist Micah Boyce of So Long Forgotten.

Just over two years ago, My Epic released what is, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs of all time. It’s certainly my favorite. Since this is the IVM I know and love, I am also obligated to say this: no, I am not exaggerating. This is not another “song of the year!” comment or post (just kidding guys, I love you all). But seriously, this is the real thing.

So, what makes a good song?

Catchiness? Effects? Dynamics? Lyrics? Story? Rhythm? Hook?

Fact is it can be any of these things, but in my opinion, it’s always about the lyrics first. The story. I believe the story of Jesus is the greatest story ever told and the whole of creation, including all of the greatest stories, rhyme and resound with His. When you listen to a song and it has an incredible story, it changes you. Just like a great movie. It can move you, make you cry, convict you, or break you.

This song broke me. Actually, it did all of those things.

I found myself questioning my life, in worship, convicted, comforted, and in complete and utter amazement with Jesus all at the same time. You’re probably thinking about all of the times a song has done this for you and saying something like, “That’s great, but a lot of songs do that.” My response would be something like… “But does it do that every time?”

That is what makes a good song. It affects you on an emotional and spiritual each and every time you listen. It’s repeatable.

The words “Lower Still” resounds with me every time I listen to this song. From the birth, to the death, until the resurrection of Jesus, He had to go “Lower Still”. My Epic not only wrote a song that impeccably expresses this story, they have lyrics and music to match which is a very rare accomplishment in today’s music. This song expresses the greatest story of all time in a way I have never heard before. I think that’s an incredible feat.

I’m going to take this even further and say,

Lower Still is to music as Braveheart is to movies.

If you disagree, that’s okay. It may not be an epic Elegy of a song (Becoming the Archetype, anyone?), but it’s Jesus’ whole story in five minutes and forty-seven seconds. Weighing in under six minutes, My Epic has written a song that will never get old, never out-date itself, and expresses the story of Jesus impeccably. If it doesn’t convict you or you don’t find yourself in complete awe of God when it’s done, then I don’t know what else to say.

The bottom line is that My Epic have crafted a song that affected me on a level that no song ever has. I also think My Epic and “Lower Still” have gone wildly unnoticed by people in general. I hope this puts a little more light to a song that, at the very least, deserves another listen.

This is why I think “Lower Still” the greatest song of all time.

It’s my favorite song and it will remain that way for years to come.

Agree? Disagree? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

Update: You can download this song for free as a part of the Facedown Sampler on Amazon right here. Thanks for the heads up, Christian!

About the author Loren Wade

Loren Wade is the author of Unlifer, a blog dedicated to inspiring and empowering people with practical ways to lifehack a broken world. You can follow him or Unlifer onTwitter and Facebook. View all posts by Loren Wade

96 Responses to 'Why “Lower Still” by My Epic Is One of the Greatest Songs of All Time'

1. Daniel says:

Great post. I agree completely. My Epic has been so honest with their songs. I think that’s what makes them stand out for me. Lower Still is brilliant.

2. Christian says:

This is one of my all-time fav’s too!! For those of you who don’t have it, it’s free on amazon, as part of the facedown records sampler!!

3. brian says:

Definitely an amazing song, lyrically. I must say though… I am most captivated, lyrically, by their song ‘Alone’.

4. Taylor C. says:

I don’t disagree that this is your favorite song.

Is it ‘One of the Greatest Songs of All Time’? Obviously, that’s subjective. Personally, it didn’t convict me; it didn’t put me in a state of awe; it didn’t affect me on a spiritual or emotional level. I like it as a song, but that’s about it. And I think it’s a little early to say that it will never ‘out-date’ itself. It was only released in 2010.

5. Iaya97 says:

I agree with every word. I was awed by this song when it came out, and I showed it to my 60 year old mom (a minister and missionary). It quickly became her favorite songs. She regularly uses it in sermons and when she goes to different churches. She has played it in prisons and seen prisoners start cryng and give their lives to the Lord because of it. It is definitely one of the greatest songs ever.

6. jim says:

its a good song. one of my favoriate songs is Asleep in the Light by Keith Green. Yeah its dated, but it breaks me every time.

7. Tim says:

It can’t be that great. Can it?

8. Tony Takach says:

That whole album is convicting! Such a great album.

It’s certainly good enough to warrant a post like this. To be honest, one of my all time favorite songs is “Untitled” from “I Am Undone”.

10. metalhunter says:

Are they still making music? I havn’t heard much from their camp in awhile.

11. Zac says:

I saw the title of the blog when I came to the site and as soon as I saw it, i said, “Yup, pretty much.”

This song is probably in my top ten songs.

I had the pleasure of seeing them at Ichthus this past year both full sound set and an acoustic set- just amazing. Such an underground band that everyone seems to know who they are, complete contradiction. haha

12. Jessica C says:

Every time I introduce someone to My Epic’s music, this is one of the three songs I showcase, and I think this opinion is spot-on. It truly shows their talent, as well as a clear picture of the life of Jesus. So good.

13. drum_mer says:

Agree this is what drew me into this band, my favourite is the beginning of this song.

14. TheArchangel says:

Thanks very much for this amazing post, Loren!
    I have to agree that this song is a very moving and near perfectly crafted masterpiece… Amazing words and testimony of our amazing Saviour!!

(My “one of the greatest songs of all time” would have to be “Age of Reptiles” by Showbread)

15. Taras says:

love this song

16. DT says:

Honestly, you could have written a lot more about why it’s great :) There was a lot I didn’t see in this post that I expected. It’s probably better to not dissect every great thing about it, though, as it’s a beautiful song to experience.

17. Britt says:

I agree i get chills every time i listen to it and it just puts Jesus’ life into perspective for me. He lowered himself still whenever he was already low.

18. earthseedz says:

Agree this song is incredible. Yes, it is already a classic and I come back to it, over and over again.

19. great song, wouldn’t rank on a best songs ever list for me though sorry

20. Todd Labbe says:

I wholeheartedly agree.

21. Pharmetalacist says:

In the last couple of years, a few songs have really resonated with me in a way that I haven’t felt before. “Helix” by Hands, “Redirect” by Your Memorial, and “Awaken” by Wolves at the Gate have also done it, but “Lower Still” is something special.

22. Justin says:

I’ve been a fan of this band for a long time now. So glad you’ve put a spotlight on this song, Loren. It’s a powerful one. So inspiring. :)

23. Chandler A. says:

I just bought a My Epic bundle with I Am Undone, Yet, and Broken Voice a few weeks ago! ‘Lower Still’ is my second favorite so far next to ‘Alone’ on Broken Voice! This band is definitely going to be one of my favorites for a long time, & I can definitely see where you’re coming from when you say that ‘Lower Still’ is one of the best songs of all time.

24. Abe says:

Great song for sure. I’d have to say my fav part is, “the earth explodes, she cannot hold him”. I get chills everytime I hear that part.

25. MrM says:

Although I’m not really a big fan of My Epic, this song and “Deathbed” intrigued me enough to impulse buy all their CD’s off Facedown. They’ve done some great work, even if it’s not the perfect sound for me.
    But aside from that, I liked this feature. Seemed random at first, but that’s cool. Spice things up. And it was well written and enjoyable, a nice length, and listening to the song as I read was a nice touch. Well done!

26. Matthew says:

This song brings me to my knees and humbles me before the Lord. It’s so raw and passionate. The lyrics are incredible but when you get them coupled with the sound, it combines for a powerful experience. I can’t wait for the day when my heads bows lower still.

27. Yorik Bruhl says:

i had to stop that song it was so bad. Haha. Sorry man. This is what I envisioned… http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cVlaI1BllpE no disrespect eh. *fist pound*

28. Jonathan says:

One of the greatest songs that I’ve listened to for sure.

29. Kevin says:

I’m inclined to think “Beloved” or “Alone” are the best lyrically. Though I think “Lower Still” is still amazing.

30. Brandon J. says:

I have always enjoyed My Epic since I first had their debut ep years ago. Their first two Dreamt full lengths weren’t necessarily my favorite work but once I heard “Broken Voice”, I fell in love with them all over again. I would love to see them mix it up on the next full length and continue moving in some of that “Broken Voice” style. You guys are so happy that IVM never released their first full length because the band probably would have broken up by now. Thank goodness for Facedown Records taking this band from me and releasing all their albums.

31. brian says:

Wow. 80+ comments without conjuring up some sort of “theological” debate or mentioning Underoath. Well done!

32. Harry Pete says:

“hang him like meat on a criminals tree. Lower Still” Dang gurl. That get’s me every time. I totally agree with your opinion on this song!

33. stevo says:

LOWER STILL IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’M HAPPY THAT OTHER PEOPLE FEEL THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!

34. Luke says:

This song is was one of those songs, its so powerful. My Epic is one of those bands!

35. evan144 says:

I agree this is an amazing song, but no song by My Epic even comes close to the greatness entitled Perfector. That, in my opinion, is one of the best songs of all time. From the lyrics, ie. “Death is just a hook behind the door, where I leave my dirty clothes” gives me chills, to the incredible dynamic range, this song basically embodies human perfection!

Future Ideas For IVM: Album/Artist Database