Love and Death Sign to Tooth & Nail

By Brandon J. on September-15-2012 | Filed under News | Tags : , , , | Share

Love and Death Sign to Tooth & Nail

Love and Death have signed to Tooth & Nail Records. This is Brian Head Welch’s new band. Check them out here..

I am 36 years old living in Orange County, CA. with my wife, 2 children, and one teenager. I enjoy living a life for God, Family, Passionate music, the ocean, the mountains, gardening, and working in the Machining industry (Real Job). I founded this site in July of 2000 and love the community we have here. View my new personal blog here. (Check me out on Twitter @brandonaaero) View all posts by Brandon J.

49 Responses to 'Love and Death Sign to Tooth & Nail'

1. Brandon says:

I am interested to hear how this turns out.

2. scott says:

Noooo… Not my style.

3. thruchristalone777 says:

Hmmm… Interesting.

4. Luke Foster says:

This could be awesome, and it could also end up being more generic hard rock. It has head though so Im hoping for the best.

5. Shane McKnight says:

I don’t know how I feel about this…I love the band and the music, but the label doesn’t match the band.

I’m sorry, but I don’t love this band. I’m really wishing T&N would go on an indie binge and start signing bands like Abel, Come Wind, Attalus, Blood and Water, Skyhook, and Quiet Science to name a few. Their reputation continues to fall and they need some artists to pick it back up.

• Iaya97 says:

Ooooh really good list. Listen up, T&N.

• JoshIVM says:

A label signing a band is an investment. I would bet that L&D would sell more than all those bands combined.

• Joeshmooga says:

I can see what you’re saying, Lucas. Especially now that Sent By Ravens is done as a band, there’s still that void that’s got to be occupied. However, as Josh of IVM said, when a label signs a band, they’re investing in that band. I agree with Josh that Love & Death would outsell every single one of those bands combined.

• Smacky X says:

Well said Josh…

• Dakota says:

I unfortunately agree with Josh too…I think Blood and Water should be selling more the L&D

• Smacky X says:

As is said often about Head- he helped create an entire genre of music. Despite that genre (nu-metal)falling out of favor with people and spawning some bands that are easy to laugh at, I think Head’s role in it all reveals impressive talent and creativity. I think L&D sells because he has proven himself and garnered an incredible fan base. Just ask mobs of Korn fans who can’t stop lamenting their loss of Brian. I think he and his band deserves all the sales and attention they are getting, and I think this was a brilliant signing by T&N

• BunnySlippersMan says:

All those bands not only would help T&Ns reputation, but have worked MORE than hard enough to deserve a T&N signing.

• Lucas says:

I posted something earlier but apparently it never submitted. I should have clarified that I do think, financially speaking, that Love and Death is a fantastic signing (with it being Brian “Head” Welch and all) and musically they are by no means talentless. I have the utmost respect for Welch, they’re just not my pick and probably not the first pick for a lot who have followed T&N for years. I think I’m just a little sad that T&N is slowly getting unrecognizable from what I’ve known of it. Half of its roster didn’t use to be radio friendly alternative/hard rock bands and I used to be excited for literally everything the label put out because almost everything they put out was exciting.

I’m sure that sounds really selfish. In this day and age labels are probably trying to stay afloat and these bands are definitely making T&N a lot of money (if I’m not mistaken Icon For Hire broke the record for sales for a T&N debut). Even so, I still think there are some fantastic bands out there (like the ones I mentioned) that would fit so well with the T&N I know and love. I also have to disagree that Love and Death would definitely sell a lot more than all those bands combined. Abel already is beginning to develop a nice following in the indie rock scene (which I think should be capitalized on!) and I think Blood and Water and Quiet Science would really sell if given the exposure. I could actually see Quiet Science among the bigger artistically inclined bands like Fun or Of Monsters and Men for instance.

• Iaya97 says:

Or what about sosaveme?

• This is a great signing. I’m extremely picky when it comes to nu metal, but I’ve always liked some of Korn’s older stuff and L&D’s last ep was pretty decent. Very smart of T&N to pick up this band. Korn’s fans will definitely eat this up, as the band has already picked up quite a fanbase. In regards to BunnySlippersMan’s comment above about the other potential signees, yes, there’s no denying that many of them are very hard working bands. But Welch himself worked at his craft for 12 years in Korn, and continues to create better music in the genre he pioneered than most of his other nu metal contemporaries or even Korn themselves. That is the obvious selling point here, whether everyone enjoys nu metal or not. As for the whole band, they have been on a constant touring rotation with the Whosoevers and other various tours since they started. I think having a label behind them will only boost that momentum drastically. Blood and Water and some of the other bands are great, but they won’t generate the sales that the label is looking for to the same degree that L&D will.

Do you know which T&N band I would have loved to see go much farther in their career? Far-Less. Their last album was insanely awesome.

• Bryce says:

@Iaya97 Well thanks for telling me about sosaveme. Man, I love comment sections.

• Smacky X says:

Good thoughts Lucas. For what it’s worth, I didn’t take your original comment as undermining Head’s talent or hard work…

• Lucas says:

Thanks Smacky! Didn’t think you did, just making sure there was no room for doubt. :)

On the other hand DUDEEEE Justin! I’d never even heard of Far-Less but I just look up A Toast To Bad Taste and it’s awesome! How did that fly so far under the radar?? Also I do enjoy sosaveme, but I need to listen to their record more.

• On the other hand, would these great bands truly flourish under the confines of a label? Just a thought.

• Lucas says:

Flourish financially or artistically? Because concerning the latter, T&N has never been one to put confines on any band’s art to make it more appealing. I mean it was, at one time, home to both mewithoutYou and Showbread and that’s really telling you something. Also don’t disregard the incredible records that they’ve put out in the past. :) (I can think of at least ten right off the top of my head)

• Totally, Lucas!! “A Toast To Bad Taste” was so incredibly underrated. That band had amazing potential. :)

Also interesting that you mentioned Abel earlier. After a stint with Dreamt (Facedown subsidiary) and Come&Live, I wonder if they’d rather not go with a label? Especially with their new album being released via bandcamp, itunes, and amazon primarily. I’m not sure, just wondering really.

• Oh, actually, my bad. They are “Friends of Come&Live,” with the Lesser Men album as a download. More of a distinction there. :)

7. MrM says:

Cool, but please keep it heavy, and somewhat unpredictable? :P I haven’t listened to the EP really yet, but I thought “Paralyzed” was a very predictable song :/ Good, but predictable.

8. Iaya97 says:

Why not Solid State? Not really a fan of this band, seen them live a few times and they haven’t done anything for me. Still, it was a smart move for T&N as a company to pick them up.

9. JahWarriah says:

YES! Love and Death deserves some label recognition. Glad they signed with T&N. Hopefully this doesn’t affect the awesome nu metal sound from the Chemicals EP, though it shouldn’t. The 2 original songs (and even the Devo cover) were all great!

10. jason says:

i’m not a terribly excited person when it comes to this band or the announcement. however, i’m all for head being a presence in the christian music community. he’s obviously completely sold out for Christ and wants to push his story to the Christian audiences and radio. i think it’s a good thing overall.

11. ParkerloveJesus says:

Most labels in general are so corporate it really hinders the bands artistic ability. Whether they are a christian label or not for the most part it’s about money. I can tell you I know a few “christian” labels that say it’s about ministry, but in reality it’s a business to make money. I pray they won’t mess them over.

• Brandon says:

Tooth & Nail may have corporate ties but they have that independent spirit. They ARE a business and have to make money to survive, plain and simple. I have always thought they were a truly innovative record company and did things the way they wanted. Sure, there are a few “commercial” type bands on the roster but then again over the years they have had their fair share of artistic offerings that wouldn’t necessarily sell tons of albums and be featured on Top 40 radio. We have to give T&N some props for being able to out last all their Christian market brothers at labels who have folded over the years. They are nearing their 20th anniversary next year and for that I give Brandon Ebel a huge amount of credit for being able to run a successful record company especially through all the turbulent times we’ve been through.

Love and Death will probably move a lot of copies and probably gain some rock radio features. I can’t blame them for wanting to sign this band, it was a good move and hopefully will inspire youth to rise up and make changes in their hearts for the Lord. I wasn’t a big “Korn” fan and I have only listened to a few of Head’s songs but I am sure I’ll check out the full length when it releases.

• ParkerloveJesus says:

I pray you’re right.

12. John says:

T&N has lost most of their main bands in the last couple years, they need to rebuild and signing an artist as well known and respected as Head is a good sign.

OT: What’s Blood and Water’s status right now? I’m actually pretty hopeful about Slospeak.

• Brandon says:

I haven’t heard much from the Blood & Water guys in a while. I am hoping they are working on new music and will release another album soon. 2010 was their last release and it had different members than they have now. I am interested to see where they take their sound. “Traffic” was a good (demo) song. I was hoping they would continue with their main band, Blood & Water, and not go off an make that side project a full time thing. I love the sound of Blood & Water very much and hope they continue it.

• Right now the members are working on a side project…that is all they are really saying at the moment.

• Brandon says:

I don’t want a side project that will probably be rooted in indie rock. I want more Blood & Water!!

• Dakota says:

I talked to I am Empire at creation and they said that Growing Younger was basically the new blood and water so i dont think its just a side project…I could be wrong though

• Logan Flaming says:

Blood and Water did just play at Joshuafest a couple of weeks ago so a least their still playing shows.

13. mr. zer0 says:

YES!YES!!YES!!!
    Great signing. Cannot wait for their debut.

14. jim says:

speaking of Tooth and nail, what has happend to them? it seems like some T&N staple bands they have been with them for years have left and are going off on their own with Kickstarter. Take, Starflyer 59. T&N used to be the go to place to hear about new bands and to know just about anything i’d pick up from them would be good. Thats not the case over the past few years.

15. Andy K says:

I don’t mind the T&N signed Head’s band and they sound pretty good, but this style is really dated.

16. metalhunter says:

I like Head’s original release, the last ep was kinda ehh. I hope it goes better for this next release.

Exclusive: Jeremiah Daly Music Video Premiere