Toby Mac Earns First Number 1 on Billboard Top 200

By Brandon J. on September-5-2012 | Filed under News | Tags : , , , | Share

Toby Mac Earns First Number 1 on Billboard Top 200

Toby Mac’s latest album “Eye on It” has debuted in the top spot this week on the Billboard Top 200 Chart. Read more about his accomplishment right here. Hopefully we can make that two weeks in a row with the release of Lecrae “Gravity”.

I am 36 years old living in Orange County, CA. with my wife, 2 children, and one teenager. I enjoy living a life for God, Family, Passionate music, the ocean, the mountains, gardening, and working in the Machining industry (Real Job). I founded this site in July of 2000 and love the community we have here. View my new personal blog here. (Check me out on Twitter @brandonaaero) View all posts by Brandon J.

38 Responses to 'Toby Mac Earns First Number 1 on Billboard Top 200'

1. Patton says:

I kind of wish they would’ve just given props to Toby Mac for being number one and not making a big deal about it being a Christian artist. Props to him for reaching number one. That’s a big deal.

• Word. Wetha u like his music or not, this is huge.

• DT says:

You’d rather he not get recognized as a Christian artist? Why wouldn’t you want that recognition of a rare accomplishment? I hope not so people looking at the charts won’t know he’s Christian, ha. Evangelical sneak attack.

And good for him.

• Patton says:

I feel less people will be inclined to check out the album because they know he’s a Christian artist. It’s a rare accomplishment because people turn their noses up at christian music. Good art is good art and the secular world views christian art as bad art. That’s all I’m saying.

• DT says:

If you are a fan of his sound that wants everyone to hear him, that is definitely understandable.

I think the damage is already done, though, for a lot of reasons I won’t spend time on. The end result is that listeners might be hesitant, regardless of an article, if they heard someone topped the Billboard charts yet it’s someone they’ve never heard and still aren’t hearing even after they’ve topped the chart. I can imagine it could even be creepy in a Twilight Zone kind of way, ha.

The main thing for me to consider is, if he genuinely wanted non-Christian listeners, he could pursue it. I know he has personal history with MTV passing on The Hardway, but there’s always more that can be done, or attempts made, if he wanted to crossover and maintain his message.

Given the Christian fests he does and who he does shows with, he’s clearly content with primarily preaching to the choir; as are most Christian artists–specifically in pop. So, the question I ask myself then is, why bother wanting for him what he doesn’t want?

2. Luke Foster says:

Its too bad he had to sell out to make num 1

• sell out? what’s wrong with his music? I’m confused…

• Luke Foster says:

Ok maybe he didnt comepletely sell out, but i cant dig his new pop sound

• Jake Potter says:

totally sold out.

• Smacky X says:

Stunk out. This cd is receiving the worst critical feedback of all his albums (with good reason) and yet it hits #1 (presumably on the merit of his past albums’ success)

• Justin (emergenscenery) says:

The lead single “Me Without You” is an indicator that he just doesn’t care if he makes cookie-cutter music. This is nothing like Momentum or Diverse City. Very sad.

• Regardless of whether you do agree with his transition in genre from hip hop/rap to pop or not, his album is great to listen to, and if this is the genre Toby wants to go into in the next season of his musical career, I guess we ought to respect him for it. Besides, it is pretty hard to earn a No. 1 position on the Billboard charts- I guess people are really responding to his latest, ‘Eye On It’.

• fusse says:

I hate when people use the “sell out” term as it is really negative and makes me think that someone has lost their faith.

But anyways. I was thinking about this this morning: Toby does what he does for a living, full time, so isn’t he allowed to do whatever he wants to make enough money? If you have a profession that you try to earn a living with, would you not respond to a demand of the market? If you make t-shirts but people demand jeans, would you not shift towards making jeans?

If Toby does something that reaches a bigger market, bigger audience and bigger exposure to his message, what’s so wrong about that?

Blah people.

• yeah, there is nothing wrong with that. I actually love Toby’s ‘new’ sound- I wasn’t really much into his ‘momentum’ album, and only a few songs on ‘welcome to diverse city’ i liked- it was really from portable sounds onward that I really enjoyed his style.

other bands that have made genre switches over the years would’ve been kutless and sanctus real- both from a rock sound to a pop/contemporary feel and both have been quite successful!

• Derek O. says:

The only thing that get’s me is that he did it with only 70,000 records. I mean Underoath, who plays a far less popular genre, didn’t reach the number 1 spot with “Define the Great Line.” However, they sold 98,000 records in their first week. I am so pumped for Tobymac, but I can’t help but look at this and be like, “Meh, Underoath did better.”

3. i enjoy what ive heard of the new album, but as a whole, in my opinon welcome to diverse city is his best album

4. scott says:

I think Underoath’s Define the Great Line was more impressive. While it did come in at number 2, it moved 98,000 albums the first week. Crazy.

• Mason says:

I agree I find that much more impressive that a band like Underoath can reach #2 compared to a pop star getting #1

• Lucas says:

Yeah think of how many people listen to pop and compare that to how many listen to metalcore. I definitely think Define the Great Line is one of the biggest sales achievements in Christian music history.

• fusse says:

Yep. Timing matters. What week the album is released and what other albums are released at the same time.

• Patton says:

I agree. Underoath’s success was more meaningful to Christian music then Toby reaching number one. Underoath basically spawned all the cookie cutter metalcore bands that followed.

It would be great to put together a top 10 list of the most important records in Christian music. Not the best but the ones that made a big impact and helped move the scene forward (for better or worse).

• Derek O. says:

I am happy someone beat me to this comment. I agree. Underoath’s success is much more impressive.

• Luke Foster says:

As good as that album was and is, it kind of shaped what the genre has become, which isnt necessarily a good thing

• scott says:

Ehhhh I’m not so sure Luke. It was super influential, yes, but you don’t hear a ton of bands sounding like them. Maybe The Overseer or To Speak of Wolves. There are a ton of bands that sound like The Devil Wears Prada though.

• Patton says:

I think They’re Only Chasing Safety shaped the genre way more than Define the Great Line but I would disagree that it’s a bad thing. Yes, there are tons and tons of sh***y copycat bands out there (Rise Records always comes to mind) but that’s a huge realm of influence Underoath has. Zao had the same effect (although to a much smaller degree) when Where Blood and Fire came out.

5. I’m really enjoying his new album, honestly. He’s FREAKING tobyMac…he’s been extremely successful in anything he has tried. Why can’t we just be supportive of our brother in Christ instead of being so negative simply because he didn’t make the music exactly how we like it?

• I definitely agree with you on this, Justine. Toby’s genre has changed and it has been ministering to people. There are a large proportion of the world that loves CCM (me included), and it is great to see Toby doing so well reaching people with music that speaks to the heart of people and their lives as Christ continues to move through his CCM/pop/rock music.

If Toby moves into this new genre of pop/contemporary; I will gladly welcome it! Kutless and Sanctus Real have succeeded with the genre switch and I think Toby will as well!

• :) Totally! I have a friend who was saying this exact thing, Jonathan. Personally, I will support tobyMac in any endeavor short of going off the deep end. :)

• David says:

I do agree with this. I’ve never been one to say “Hey, you aren’t making music how I want it.” However, there is a difference between good music and bad music, and while I can’t comment on TobyMac (I’ve never gotten into him, but that’s another story), it doesn’t make sense to be upset about this kind of thing. That’s like me getting mad at Thrice for making Major/Minor and every other album instead of another Vhiessu. Then again…I loved all of their albums… ^_^

6. jason says:

he’s consistently stated over the years that he makes music to appeal to as many people as possible. it’s not a sell-out situation at all. if you look at his past three albums they’ve all had high debuts on billboard. one of my biggest issues with the hardcore, punk and metal scenes in christian music is that smug arrogance that comes with a lot of fans about everything outside of the genre, as if this sound is the only thing trying to be progressive while everything else is mundane or below them. granted, it sort of comes with the territory when you think of them thriving in their inclusive undergound scenes, but this is different. it’s actually incredibly backwards thinking and immature. toby mckeehan preaches the gospel and is about as evangelistic of an artist out there. his music has as big of a brush that he can so that he might reach any and everyone. God uses everyone in different ways and all we as the church ever do is try and tear down what He’s doing. whether it be underoath, red, tobymac, lecrae, as i lay dying, or some ccm artist we should praise God because He’s still reaching people and doing it in life-changing fashion.

7. I heard about a minute of Me Without You and I wanted to throw something at a small child.

8. Iaya97 says:

Man I wish Lecrae could make it to #1. No matter what, “Gravity” will be by far the most successful rap album by a Christian. He has at least 10 songs in the iTunes top 200 hip hop songs charts, and “Fuego” is at number 5.

As lame and commercial as Toby Mac’s newest is, it is still a great accomplishment. Good for him and what he does.

9. This record owns. And it’s the only Toby Mac record I can make such a statement for.