Belle Epoque – Disillusions of Man

By Carter Fraser on August-15-2012 | Filed under Reviews | Tags : , , , , | Share

Belle Epoque – Disillusions of Man
Score: 4/5Score: 4/5Score: 4/5Score: 4/5Score: 4/54
4.8 (5 votes)

Artist: Belle Epoque (Bandcamp) (iTunes)
Title:

1. Lying Through Teeth
  2. Tight Rope Walker
  3. Not Going Home
  4. Disappear
  5. Mannequin
  6. Until the End

Belle Epoque certainly play with the energy necessary to succeed in post-hardcore these days. Catchiness as well, I suppose that is also another helpful quality. Neither are in short supply on Disillusions of Man, with dueling moments of lively, fast-paced guitar flurries and gentle atmospheric melodies giving things a memorable edge. Secret & Whisper comparisons quickly come to mind in the guitars and vocals, although Kyle Istook’s vocals are never nearly as divisive as Charles Finney’s could be. As Cities Burn and Thrice influences come into play as well (as they do on much of indie post-hardcore it seems these days), especially in the mellow number “Disappear,” which finds Belle Epoque showcasing Istook’s vocals with a sweet summery, yet haunting melody. There aren’t too many chinks in the armor to be found here.

The EP is the Dallas-natives’ first release since a three-year hiatus, and the time off seems to have refreshed their spirits. Their brand of post-hardcore may not be entirely new, but it’s certainly fresh enough to make them standout. The epic “Not Going Home” is likely the best track here, with its driving, catchy chorus, snaking guitars, and massive walls of sound. It succeeds at building with each chorus, ultimately utilizing screamed backing vocals surprisingly well—despite their near-singular use on the album, they feel completely necessary in this context. Opener “Lying Through Teeth” evokes a slight Ocean Is Theory vibe with its bouncy, fun, almost sassy riff. There’s not a weak track to be heard, and everything simply flows quite well.

Overall: One of the more notable characteristics of Disillusions of Man is that its context often times doesn’t match up with the actual product; listening to it suggests the thoughts of an established artist’s old back catalogue, not an aspiring star’s new release. Hopefully this scenario will be given a chance to play out, and Belle Epoque will stick around after this hiatus long enough to produce a full-length album.

RIYL: Secret & Whisper, As Cities Burn, Least of These, Colour Revolt, Thrice, Ocean Is Theory, Hawkboy

Belle Epoque - Disillusions of Man, 4.8 out of 5 based on 5 ratings

Click here to list all the current reviews by Carter Fraser

About the author Carter Fraser

I'm a student originally from Arlington, TX, but currently residing in St. Louis, MO. I enjoy music, going to concerts, playing and watching baseball, working with my hands, fishing, art, Minecraft, and sleeping/eating/other necessary activities for life. Long walks on the beach are acceptable as well. View all posts by Carter Fraser

47 Responses to 'Belle Epoque – Disillusions of Man'

1. Yorik Bruhl says:

1)i love you guys for finding me good music.
    2)links to bandcamp rule (i live in China and it’s the best for me).
    3)RIYL (whatever that means) is great!
    4)this band is dope

2. JoshIVM says:

I added the Bandcamp stream for those that want to check it out as well.

Great EP. Absolutely love “Not Going Home”! (and the Gage Speas cameo is a nice touch)

4. Josh Hamm says:

Great music, love the vocals, especially on Disappear.

5. Keith.Settles says:

ooooo this is good!

6. Tyler says:

are these guys christian? cant find anything about it…

• What website are you on again?

• we do our research, chill

• evan144 says:

Yea they are. I have watched these guys ever since they were called Broadway. Their drummer is Ryan Conley’s brother (1st drummer from Oh, Sleeper). I believe all these guys are Christian.

• Chris…that made me laugh. :D

• evan144 says:

I totally agree Justine! I wish we could like comments on here haha!

• Tyler says:

I thought it was rude… I just asked a question because i couldnt find any interviews or anything where they claimed to be christian. i am well aware this is a christian website. then “we do our research, chill” chill, really? it wasnt like i posted in all caps or something. so since you guys are so confident and apparently do all your “research” why dont you show me some proof this band is christian or that some members are at least

• yeah, no offense, just keeping things casual.

• Tyler says:

I might not have been offended had any of you actually answered my question. I still havent got an answer… I am simply wondering if they are a christian band or christians in a band or just a positive band. I mean im not trying to press the issue, but you claim you do your research yet you still havent answered the question…

• Lucas says:

Tyler, you can take their word for it. IVM exclusively covers Christian bands and if you’re a regular they’ve made it pretty clear, but if not I don’t blame you for not knowing. Regardless they’ve gotten that question quite a bit though so I can see why it’s a little aggravating. That said I’m not sure you were heated enough to warrant “chilling”. ;)

• evan144 says:

Tyler, no offense, but you need to chill a little dude, no one is trying to offend you, everyone is just trying to keep the mood light. No one said anything remotely offensive, but if you took it that way, sorry!

Obviously since they are on this website they are Christian, but if you want proof, I suggest you buy the PHYSICAL copies of their CDs…in their you will see that they always thank first and foremost God and Christ. Proof enough? I believe in one of the thanks they thanked their church as well.

• evan144 says:

…but do agree with Lucas, chill would be like if you typed in all caps demanding an answer right this second…or else haha!

Shame on you Carter, now you need to chill :p I keed, I keed!

• evan144 says:

2nd album in thanks “…and most importantly, we’d like to thank God, without Him, we’d be nothing.” Hope all of this helps…sorry for my trillion posts!

7. I honestly meant that in fun and I hoped no one would take it in a rude way. I’m sure Carter would say the same thing.

• Tyler says:

O.k. i understand, but again I will ask, can anyone show me an interview or something. I get all these jokes at my expense because i guess asking if they are a christian band is a stupid question. Yet, i cannot find ANY interview of them claiming to be christian, at all… I guess its my fault for expecting a christian band to at least mention jesus in an interview over their whole career…

• evan144 says:

see above…

• Tyler says:

Josh, thanks for that. I really appreciate that. That was all i was wondering was if these guys are christian or just positive (i honestly don’t care as i said above.)

I dont expect you to convince me of anything, i just didnt know and some said they were and i was just wondering where that info came from.

I am willing to accept any proof given, however i don’t accept here say as proof. What you showed me was proof and i appreciate that. before i even asked the question I looked through various interviews and saw nothing about their faith so I was honestly just asking out of curiosity…

Sorry i made so many of you angry or anything, it just felt like no one felt like I even had a right to ask such a question.

• Tyler says:

Oops…. didnt mean to do that. actually i didnt see your posts, they must not have shown up yet. thanks for that.

8. MrM says:

Tyler makes a good point. Not that I question IVM, but there are bands that are misleading (The Chevelle debate, anyone? I believe Blessthefall was covered here, and that had to change? But that was before my time on this site :P). I did a quick (very quick) Google search and aside from sites claiming they were a Christian band, or had primarily Christian lyrics, I didn’t see them actually claiming they were Christian. Now personally, I don’t care, but if someone does, say someone with the user-name Tyler, I think it’s fair for them to dig for some information and be sure. And while I do think the Chris and Carter comments were fine and maybe over reacted to a little, he does have a point in that no one clarified if they were a Christian band, or a band with Christian members, or just a positive band. So, for the sake of peace, is there a link we may have to find out more about them and their motivations and their faith?

• Tyler says:

Thanks :) and for the record, i wouldnt have cared about the comments if they answered the questions. it just felt like they didnt even care about the question and just mocked. I actually dont limit my listening to christian bands. I do try to stick to positive bands though so if they were christian or not wouldn’t change my opinion about them. I was just wondering… i pressed the issue because as a “christian” music website i was surprised that no one seems to be able to even answer the question. which also makes me wonder why they cover a band if they don’t profess to be christian. yeah, im new here. sorry…

• MrM says:

Stick around, it’s really a pretty cool place ^_^

• evan144 says:

see above… haha, this is getting redundant (my responses that is) now haha!

9. Kyle says:

Tyler,
    Although references to faith and christianity are more vague on this EP , Belle Epoque’s previous release, “Wicked Ones and Thieves” is filled with more ‘proof’.

From the song ‘And We Will Be Delivered':
    “Hold on to me ’cause I want to love like you.
    My body has been wrecked and I was the driver.
    My God, I feel so wrong, like I’ve lost everything
    But you would never let me go through this alone.
    When you call to me I will say
    ‘I’m sorry, forgive me for the things that I’ve done’
    When I get to the gates I will say
    ‘Pass judgment on me, pass judgment’
    When I get to the gates I will say
    ‘Deliver me, deliver me with grace'”

• Tyler says:

While those are awesome lyrics, that is not proof of anything. evanescence’s first album was filled with lyrics that had christian themes…

• Lucas says:

Tyler, not trying to be rude, but why are you still going on about this?? If you’re searching for a comfortable “Christian” tag it’s pointless…anyone can say, “Yeah we’re Christians.” Heck anyone can say, “We believe Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sin”, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything if they don’t live it out and we can’t possibly know if someone is living it out because we don’t know their hearts. With that in mind it’s also pointless (and, to be honest, inappropriate) to ask about the state of someone’s soul. You can pray for them though just as you’d pray for any other person.

I’m not trying to be high and mighty or put you down in anyway because I have done and still do the exact same thing. It’s comforting seeing someone stand for what we stand for and it’s incredibly exciting to see people speak about Christ so passionately! (see my post in the Sent By Ravens thread)
      I think you should just listen to the music and decide for yourself whether they fit your standards, and if not then you can move on and that’s fine too. I’d just go on and stop asking because at this point I don’t think it’s edifying to anyone here including yourself. I’m going to step off of my (regretfully) monogrammed soapbox now. :)

• Tyler says:

Have you been reading my comments above?
      “i pressed the issue because as a “christian” music website i was surprised that no one seems to be able to even answer the question. which also makes me wonder why they cover a band if they don’t profess to be christian.”

when i originally asked the question, someone asked me “what website are you on?” and another said “we do our research, relax”
      both were implying that the fact that they even post updates on a band suggests that “duh they are christian”

Yet no one showed me. as i said above, it wouldnt matter to me if they are christian or not. I listen to positive music. It’s just the fact that all of you seem offended that I wanna know how this website assumes they are christian, yet none of you will even answer how they have been labeled a christian band.

If what your suggesting is true, then maybe i should just find a secular music website. Since apparently even on a christian music site it is inappropriate to ask about a bands faith…

10. JoshIVM says:

First: No IVM does not solely cover “Christian” bands. We cover Christians (or those who claim to be) who happen to make music regardless of whether the band is ministry based (Christian band) or not. Most of the bands we cover would not claim the title Christian band.

Second: It’s not our job to convince you that a certain artist[band] is[has] a Christian [in the band]. We go by the information we have. Have we made mistakes? Sure, but we have always worked to correct that.

Third: Tyler if you are unwilling to accept coverage on IVM or the multiple comments above as proof, then please do more research or contact the band yourself & ask them. It seems like the only way you’re going to get an answer you will accept.

Start at the 4:18 mark.

• evan144 says:

*insert clapping emoticon here* Thank you Brandon, just another reason why I love this site and the people who run it!!!

• JahWarriah says:

That was Josh, lol. xP

• evan144 says:

facepalm…wow I guess I should read the names of who I’m replying too haha! Thanks Jahwarriah!

• So much Evan in this post!!!! haha

• evan144 says:

I know, I trolled the crap out of this page around 2 (my time) haha. Sorry about that!

• Tyler says:

• evan144 says:

Tyler, you made no one angry :) It’s all good brother. It’s good that you try to dig deep to find your answers, we need more people like you :) Welcome to this site, the people on here are really a bunch of cool laid back guys and girls! Sorry we pushed you into a crazy crash course haha and sorry if I bombarded you with comments haha!

• Tyler says:

no problem, i actually didnt see them to quite a bit later -_- i did appreciate them though

• Lucas says:

No one was angry Tyler don’t worry. Like Evan said welcome to IVM! We have a lot of discussions/debates around these parts…even some that aren’t really helpful. And I will say my previous comment probably didn’t add anything to the conversation so I apologize. Didn’t mean to put you down in anyway!

11. Just wanna say props to Matt Goldman for putting out another awesome release.

Exclusive: Harbor and Home Music Video Premiere

Exclusive: The Beautiful Discord Music Video Premiere

Exclusive: BoughtXBlood Releases Music Video for “Restoration”