Manafest – Pushover

By Brandon J. on March-15-2012 | Filed under Music Videos | Tags : , , , , , | Share

Check out the new music video from Manafest for the track “Pushover”, below. New album “Fighter” due out April 10th on BEC. [Thanks Smacky X]

I am 36 years old living in Orange County, CA. with my wife, 2 children, and one teenager. I enjoy living a life for God, Family, Passionate music, the ocean, the mountains, gardening, and working in the Machining industry (Real Job). I founded this site in July of 2000 and love the community we have here. View my new personal blog here. (Check me out on Twitter @brandonaaero) View all posts by Brandon J.

28 Responses to 'Manafest – Pushover'

1. Attention: I need to put this out there. This song actually is called “Pushover.”

• You’re the best. I only noticed because I stumbled onto this video last night on youtube. Sweet video!! I wish he was still doing more hip hop influenced stuff like the “Misled Youth” ep, but he’s making quite the splash lately. He knows exactly what sound he’s going for, recording with Bieber’s producer. I grew up in Ontario watching him perform for many many years. He’s got a real dynamic presence and live show. He really puts the gospel out there in a personal way. No matter where the music goes, I’ll still stick by it.

• Lol, word. I was prety shoct wen he went “rapcore”, since it had been a few years since i herd his music, i always remembered him as bein just anotha wite Christian rapa, lol. Altho the recent stuf is predictable, its not bad, lol.

2. mr. zer0 says:

It’s sad that so many bands left the rapcore scene. I know we grow old and our taste changes, but cmon…Mana is literally the last man standing. This should be another fantastic album, as if he ever lets his fans down.

3. Smacky X says:

People who think that Manafest’s fusion of rap and rock make his style “rapcore” need to do their homework. Go back to over a decade before the rap-rock genre existed and listen to Run DMC’s “King of Rock,” “Tougher than Leather,” or “Rock Box.” Listen to Fat Boys’ “Crushin.” Listen to Tone Loc’s “Wild Thing” or “Funky Cold Medina. (Warning: sexual lyrical content)

Manafest isn’t rehashing the genre that made Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach famous, he is putting into practice the same fusing of genres that put hip-hop on the mainstream map back at the start of mainstream hip-hop. Run DMC is as iconic name in hip-hop; they were one of the earliest hip hop groups to enjoy consistent mainstream success, and they did this “fusing” all the time. The fact of the matter is that because Manafest’s style over the past few albums have reflected that same approach, he has stayed more true to mainstream old-school hip-hop than have most.

• I’m just wondering if this album is going to have less rhymes than the last. The 3 tracks I’ve heard from it so far haven’t featured anything too profoundly hip hop.

• Smacky X says:

Yeah dude. I hear you and know what your mean about Manafest’s changing sound. I was addressing the sentiment from people that Manafest has some sort of “dated” rapcore sound just because their are hooks and riffs and distortion. I think they are missing the legitimacy of what he is doing in the context of the the broader history of mainstream hip hop because they think he is late in riding the coat-tails of the rapcore scene. I think he is in an underrated artist that at times seems to have been “under-supported” by his label. I’ve had a chance to see him a few times and talk with him a couple times and I have huge respect for his commitment to his music and fans. And like I said- I think he’s more legit than he’s sometimes given credit for.

I would be bummed if we moved away from rapping into singing. (Just like I was bummed that Mat Kearney’s “City of Color” has no soken word stuff going on, despite how good of a singer Kearney is…)

• MrM says:

So, what actually defines a band as rapcore? In layman’s terms? :P

• Smacky X says:

A band that is “rapcore” is fusing rap with hard rock or hardcore elements- I think that “hard” is key because you will find general “rock” elements on a lot of hip hop elements. And rapcore bands are doing that with greater consistency than Manafest ever has. You can hear “rapcore” elements in some of his songs. We could list off songs by DC Talk, Toby Mac, Audio Adrenaline and Everyday Sunday that have those elements too, but I don’t think we would classify any of them as rapcore. Yes, Manafest has put out more of those types of songs, but those still make up a minority of his songs…

I’m not trying to be the decisive voice on the subject- sorry if it sounds that way. I’m just expressing that opinion based on the “arguments” I’ve already made here…

• MrM says:

Nope, no worries on that. So far I think you’re kind of the only voice? So you’re allowed to be decisive ^_^ XD So what’s the standard rapcore band that I can compare all others to?

• Smacky X says:

Limp Bizkit, Early Linkin Park, Early Papa Roach… And in the Christian scene: Satellite and Pre-Satellite POD (and they returned to the rapcore sound with “Testify”), Early Pillar, Every Day Life, Eso Justifide, CR33. A lot of these bands moved away from the rapcore sound for relevance/marketability/progression’s sake, hence the “early” distinction…

• Smacky X says:

There should be a comma between “Eso” and “Justifide”

• MrM says:

Thank you sir! Alright, I can honestly say I’m quite the fan of rapcore then (except Limp Bizkit… anything with that name can’t be good) I’ve always been confused about what to deem things from the sounds of rap rock, rap metal, rapcore, and nu metal. (and yes, I’m aware of Eso, I actually have their self-titled [only?] CD :p but I understand and appreciate the clarification)

• JahWarriah says:

I agree with you on the rapcore explanation Smacky X. Recently though (in about the last 5 years or so) I have felt like that genre / type of music is very limited, especially in the Christian market.
      Also, by the sounds of it all, P.O.D.’s new album is gonna have a lot of rapcore elements in it. I have heard “On Fire” and “Murdered Love”, and I am seriously enjoying the old-school feel that I’m hearing in the music. That I can say I am thoroughly excited about!
      I never got the chance to check out Eso. Plus I’ve found almost no info about them anywhere. Do you know of any place I would be able to do that?
      Also, this morning I got an idea to fuse 3 rapcore songs together into somewhat of a remix (P.O.D.’s “Whatever It Takes”, Justifide’s “9 Out of 10″, and A Cry Farewell’s “Not Buried Alive”). What would you guys think of something like that?
      Sorry for the long post, lol.

• MrM says:

JahWarriah, yeah, I remember hearing “On Fire” and it got me all excited ^_^
      As to your Eso inquiry, they are very difficult to find, being Japanese and on the now what I believe to be defunct label Bettie Rocket Records? But I found their Myspace! http://www.myspace.com/esobomb
      hope that helps!
      And I don’t really know the songs well, so I can’t comment on your remix idea. However I always enjoy the idea of a good remix/mash-up!

• MrM says:

Yeah that’s about all I find on them. There’s the rare review of their CD, but that’s all I’ve found :/ that and a song called “Contract” on YouTube :P
      It was bizarre that I actually found the CD… YC Alberta, going through the under 5$ bin, I found that and the Building a Better Monster 2: The New Era of Hard Rock, which also had three of Eso’s songs on it… Sorry I can’t be of more help!

4. Kurtis says:

What a terrible song! Here’s my opinion the music is just okay, too repetitious. The song lyrics, there are only 2 verse’s and their so short you can hardly call them that. It’s one long chorus set to a pretty fun video. If he didn’t have the so Cal beach/skate stuff I would have been done right away. It’s not often a video carries the music, but when the song’s this boring, something has to. But I guess it doesn’t matter cause he’s not a pushover….lame.

5. Sam says:

And people thought he’d gone soft when they heard “Never Gonna Let You Go”:)

6. Ben says:

Not a very interesting song for me. Video wasn’t very interesting either. Laughed when the kid stuck his fingers up though, thinking he must be some non-pushover rebel… then I realised it’s not an offensive gesture over in the USA.

Exclusive: Jeremiah Daly Music Video Premiere