Not One Is Upright – God Is Not A Watchmaker And The World Is Not Ticking

Not One Is Upright – God Is Not A Watchmaker And The World Is Not Ticking
Score: 4/5Score: 4/5Score: 4/5Score: 4/5Score: 4/54
4.4 (12 votes)

Band: Not One Is Upright

Title: God Is Not A Watchmaker And The World Is Not Ticking

Label: Red Cord Records

Release Date: May 3rd 2011 (Digital)

Reviewer: Joshua Clark

Tracklisting:

1. The Mental Propensities of Phineas Gage
  2. Wake Up, #37, Wake Up
  3. So I Asked The Gatekeeper
  4. Where There Is Shame, There Is Fear
  5. Unrefined, My Paradigm
  6. The State vs. The Librarian
  7. Axes and Owl Eyes
  8. The Watchmaker
  9. Aren’t You Very Afraid?
  10. No, I’m Full Of Joy

Not One Is Upright is a five-piece metal act out of Grayson, Kentucky. They are releasing their brand of heavy music with their first full-length record off of Red Cord Records.

Musically, these guys are pretty strong, especially for their first full-length project. I particularly liked the guitars on this album; there was a fair amount of interesting riffs that grabbed my attention.  The band is fairly experimental compared to other metal bands out there and they try to mix in some new things instead of just rehashing the standard metal sound we are use to.  In a way they reminded me of the Chariot and Norma Jean with how they deliver their music. They have a bit of that chaotic/spontaneous heavy sound that both of those bands do so well. But a nice contrast to the chaotic music, Not One Is Upright has some more laid back melodic musical breaks within the chaos presented in their songs. In a way it breaks up the momentum they had going, but it helps give the songs some variety; or a much needed break for those who don’t typically listen to this style of music. But the guys mix multiple genres into their music to keep things interesting, as well as deliver a very enjoyable sound.

Lead vocalist Graham Skaggs, sports some solid pipes that go hand in hand with the chaotic music they play. He reminds me of a combo of Micah Kinard from Oh Sleeper and Cory Brandon from Norma Jean; which in my book is some good vocalists to be compared to. He has a nice variety of screams from high squeals to some more intense throaty growls. There are also some spoken vocal parts sprinkled throughout some of the songs. These parts make a nice change from the constant throat shredding and overall this works well with the bands sound.  But no matter what Skaggs is doing, he is giving his all with a ton of emotion and passion.  You can tell this passion comes from the bands love of Christ. The subjects touched upon in their lyrics show the commitment and love they have towards God. This comes through both in a straightforward delivery of the need for Christ in our lives in the lyrics and the guys also have some pretty creative lyrics to communicate this as well (they get their point across with a fair amount of metaphors). But either way they make it quite clear who their music is about and leave room for very little debate on that subject.

Overall: I enjoyed Not One Is Upright’s debut God Is Not A Watchmaker and The World Is Not Ticking. I just felt the album was over a little too fast and an additional song or two was needed for me to completely get my fill. Clocking in at about 34 minutes, the guys do however bring the heat for the whole runtime of this album and wrap up this brief record quite nicely.  Not One Is Upright plays some very solid metal and adds some variety into what can be a rather stagnant genre at times. Sure it’s not changing the way we look at metal, but I give them a ton a credit for trying something different and pulling it off pretty well.I highly suggest this album for any fans of Norma Jean, The Chariot, or lovers of heavy music in general.These guys make a fine addition to Red Cord and will feel right at home on Red the labels already very strong lineup. Not One Is Upright displays a great deal of talent on this album and shows a lot of promise for the future.

Not One Is Upright - God Is Not A Watchmaker And The World Is Not Ticking, 4.4 out of 5 based on 12 ratings

Click here to list all the current reviews by Joshua Clark

About the author Joshua Clark

A college student who really loves music, art, and God. I like a variety of music, heavy rock or metal mainly but pop/rock or worship music also gets it's fair share of listening time. View all posts by Joshua Clark

31 Responses to 'Not One Is Upright – God Is Not A Watchmaker And The World Is Not Ticking'

1. BrothaBlood says:

so excited for this release!

2. Loren Wade says:

I’ve always been a fan of the Chariot and Norma Jean. I love chaotic, technical bands like this. It’s nice to see one that is so passionate about Christ. I may actually buy this album. I don’t buy many independent releases anymore… but I may have to make an exception here. I enjoyed the two songs on MySpace for sure.

3. thruchristalone777 says:

I listened to the songs on their myspace. I think your comparison of their vocalist to the vocalists of Oh Sleeper and Norma Jean nailed it. Pretty cool music.

4. CellarGore says:

Wow, listening to their songs on FB on a loop. I’ve already spent too much on music this year, but I’m gonna have to add this to the list. I can see the Oh Sleeper and The Chariot correlation, but there’s also a very unique aspect that doesn’t make me run away.

5. Tim says:

What does the title mean?

• The title is both a refutation of Deism (the belief that God created the world but doesn’t interfere in its workings) and a message of hope for the future. Deists have often compared God to a watchmaker who wound up the watch and then left and we don’t believe that at all. We believe that God is continually present and wants to be a part of our daily lives. As for the second half of the album title, we wanted to say that the world is unlikely to end in 2012 or in the near future, though we certainly wouldn’t claim to know. That’s up to God.

• Tim says:

Wow, thanks for taking your time to reply! That’s very interesting. I knew there was a lot of meaning there but I couldn’t quite get to the bottom of it! Brilliant.

Thank you!

• Joshua Clark says:

Thanks for sharing that, I had been curious what the exact meaning of the title was. I was coming up with a ton of possibilities, but glad to know what it really is. I like the concept!

• Matthew says:

That’s really cool that you guys are into philosophy like that. I immediately caught the deistic imagery and that really interested me.

• Marshall Biller says:

Ditto to Matthew’s comment

6. TheDestroyer68 says:

Definitely looking forward to this

7. FreedomGunfire says:

Will this be iTunes available on May 3rd?

8. WDTWJordan says:

I know each and everyone of these guys personally, and not only are they some of the best dudes I know, but they’re all on fire for God. I know when this album comes out, I’m for sure getting it and supporting my bros.

9. Kevin Bacon says:

Looking forward to this release.

10. Just lettin you guys know, our album will be up for digital purchase tomorrow. Pre-orders for a physical copy will also be up.

11. Steve says:

Pre orders for their CD are up at the RCR web store (with 5/24 release date). I don’t see them on iTunes yet, but I imagine they’ll be up shortly.

12. iSkelly87 says:

The cd is now up one iTunes! Excited about this cd!

13. Frank says:

I just wanted pop in and let everybody know that the album is now up on iTunes and Amazon! It may be up on a few other places too, but I’m unsure as of yet. I want to thank everyone for all the excellent comments, so far. You guys are the best and you make being in this band all the more worth it. God bless!

14. Ran across these dudes on facebook…solid tunes. also check out Syrens and Love Begotten.

15. danisnottheman says:

I just bought this. Blown away.

16. FreedomGunfire says:

Liking the Mothman Prophecies reference in that second track.

17. perry says:

i bought it and i want my money back…..

18. Payne says:

Why’s that?

19. jonny says:

love Not One Is Upright!!!!!!!!!!